Epilogue

A few years ago, you were in a beautiful meadow, sitting on your mothers lap while she read to you.

There was a hero and villain in this particular tale, a common trope that repeated itself in many different books.

Although, as she read the last page out loud, her voice being soft and clear, your eyes widened in surprise, not expecting that final twist of the story.

"The bad guy becomes... good?" You muttered to yourself.

"He does, sweetie. And do you know what the moral of the story is?" She softly closed the novel, placing it onto the freshly cut grass. "Anybody can change for the better."

That sentence alone stuck with you for your whole life.

Even now, as you were being propelled into the air alongside Udo, Jean, and Mikasa.

A villain was what you truly were, and deep down, you knew that could never change.

But... could it?

Ever since you stationed in Marley, ever since you made such kind friends... something had changed within you, as if a light switch had been set on.

You felt protective over them, to the point where you wouldn't hesitate to spare their life for yours.

It was ironic too, because your main goal in life had always been to survive.

However, ever since those idiots came into the picture, your goal had changed.

Now, you wanted them to live another day...

And your objective had been accomplished, because somehow, they survived Eren's attack.

So, maybe you weren't the villain in the end, but instead, you were the hero.

Or at least...

The anti-hero.