𝐂𝟐𝟒

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Did I end up dragging Kaeya back to headquarters because he was too drunk to walk in a straight line without almost falling over his own two feet?

Indeed.

He was going to have to give me something real good to make up for that. Bringing back my drunk superiors after hours isn't exactly in my job description. Although I let him off the hook and laughed knowing he'd face the repercussions in the morning.

----In the morning-----

Jean had called us in for another one of her special meetings in the morning. I was able to get myself up without the help of Lisa this time, and headed down to her office. When I arrived, Lisa was standing behind Jean while she sat behind her desk. Amber was sitting on the chair close to the bookshelves looking up at the ceiling. She turned her attention to me and waved.

"Good morning Y/N! Did you sleep well?" Amber asked with a smile.

I nodded, "Surprisingly I did."

Jean sighed and rubbed her temple, "For archons sake, where is Kaeya?" We all looked around, not spotting the blue haired captain anywhere. If anything he was probably still tucked in his bed sleeping like a baby.

"He's probably a bit out of it." I said, "Sure did have a blast with his best friend Venti last night at the tavern."

Jean looked tired but not surprised, "I feel like I'm talking to a wall when I tell him not to go overboard."

Just when Jean was about to lose all her hope the door opened and in walked Kaeya. His arms were behind his head, tying up his ridiculously long hair into a ponytail. "Was I just compared to a wall?" He said putting his hands down after he tied his hair back.

"It is what I said, isn't it?" Jean replied. She had a different sort of energy when talking to Kaeya. It wasn't a rude tone, but she was just able to somewhat match half his energy. "Nevermind that. This should be quick. Treasure hoarders have been spotted again around the perimeters."

Amber groaned, "Again? I swear we just ran them out."

Jean nodded, "Unfortunately so. I want extra caution when running your tasks today. The absolute last thing I would want is for someone to get hurt, or anything worse." The news didn't surprise me, but it wasn't delightful. Last time I encountered a treasure hoarder I was attacked with Abyssal energy.

"However, since I have my complete trust in you four, I won't lecture you too much about it, and will not baby you. Please do keep an eye out. As Knights you should protect not only yourself, but the citizens of Mondstadt." She took a breath, "After recent encounters, we do not have a motive as to why they would be working with The Abyss Order. So anything goes. If at all possible, do not resort to violence unless absolutely needed. That is all."

Jean dismissed us and we all headed out to do what we had to do for the day. Amber ran up to me and slid in front of me, "Y/N wait!" I stopped in my tracks so I wouldn't go toppling over her.

"Hm? Something up?"

"Well no not really. But! After what happened last time with the treasure hoarders I do want to make a suggestion." She started. "I see you hanging around Bennett a lot and I think it's lovely! However, I don't want to see either of you two hurt again, you know?"

I turned my head in confusion not knowing what she was getting at.

"Oh I think I've worded this completely wrong." She panicked.

An icy voice rang from behind us, "Oh Outrider. You aren't trying to tell her to stop seeing her little friend are you?"

Not having to turn to know who it was, I ignored it. Amber shook her head, "Oh Kaeya please. That's not what I was trying to say--"

"Really? It might do her good though. He's said to be the most unlucky one in Mondstadt. With the threats just rolling around every corner, she might just be a walking target." Kaeya said.

It was really taking a lot in me to not want to punch the ice out of him. He can't possibly think that. He doesn't know Bennett like I do.

"You know that's not true!" Amber yelled back. She crossed her arms. "I was trying to say maybe they should both avoid the highly dangerous areas. Not avoid Bennett!"

Kaeya laughed. "Perhaps I just took the words out of your mouth."

I turned around and glared at Kaeya, while he just stood there smiling. "Bold words coming from the guy who couldn't walk straight last night. You don't know anything about Bennett."

"Oh-ho! Tell me, why do you stay around him so much?"

I stood there thinking. I really didn't have a reason to not want to be around him. How could I not? I travelled to Liyue with that boy. I watched him stare up at the sky without a care in the world. I watched him fall into rivers, streams, lakes. I watched him as he held my hand during the Windblume festival. I've experienced his darker sides. I watched him cry, shake with fear. I've seen him at his worst and his best. You wouldn't know who Bennett was, unless you experienced all of that with him.

Our promise. My promise. Was not going to break.

"Because I--" I paused.

Kaeya's smile turned into a smirk. "You what?" Amber stood there not sure if she should intervene or not, but by the side-eye that Kaeya sent her way, she chose to not do so.

"Because I want to be around him more..."

He lifted an eyebrow, "Really? Because the other night you definitely looked like you had a bit more on your mind than just wanting to be around him." My eyes fell to the ground, realizing he had seen the kiss between the two of us. "Oh I get it now!" He leaned down to my height and whispered.

"You love him, don't you?"

My eyes widened. Was that really what it was? The kiss we shared that night, and the ones just hours before. Could it really have been out of love? The promise I made to him, was it to a friend? Or something more.

"Well, I've cracked the code. Someone should give me an award for that." He joked standing back up. He walked up to Amber and tapped her on the shoulder, "You know, it seems cryo and pyro make an interesting duo, yes?"

Amber side stepped away from him glaring, "In your dreams."

He laughed it off, "It was a joke dear Outrider."

Still unable to wrap my mind around my own thoughts there was something that Bennett had said to me, that may have pieced it together.

'I'm glad you were the one I saved.'

I smiled at the memory finally having everything figured out and Kaeya looked over, "What's got you so happy?"

"Dear archons..." I whispered.

"I do love him."

Longer chapters are coming up!