6 | Anomaly

Scorpius Malfoy was thankful the Hogwarts of the Year 1996 wasn't too different from the Hogwarts of the Year 2023. Hogwarts still wasn't quite fond of technological advancement, much to his relief. Though, Scorpius confessed that he kind of missed seeing smartphones in the corridors as the Muggleborn students tried to desperately spell them to work.

Still, it was too easy to blend in. The locations of rooms hadn't changed and Scorpius merely needed to stick close to Crabbe and Goyle to quickly get to his next class. What he was delighted above all was the fact that the curriculum was still the same. In their time, however, Muggle Studies was required instead of merely an option. Also, History of Magic was already taught by a living, breathing wizard, Professor Hobble, who provided more enlightening revelation about the Second Wizarding War and how it had changed the Wizarding World - past, present, and future.

Besides those changes, all the homework and lessons were the same. Since they were already halfway through the second term before he went back into time, Scorpius already knew about their lessons and had effortlessly aced his classes.

It was apparently a good thing because as the famous Scorpion King, he was expected to be quite intelligent, too. Scorpius knew that his father was second of his batch, only behind Hermione Granger. Knowing this, Scorpius had no choice but to spend more times in the library to continue his façade of being the cool, handsome, and intelligent Scorpion King.

"What do you reckon will we study right now?" Goyle whispered to him as they sauntered inside the Transfiguration room and settled on the farthest seat from the front.

"Bird-Conjuring Charm," Scorpius mindlessly replied.

Crabbe and Goyle gawked at him in surprise. Scorpius mentally kicked himself for not thinking about his reply. He just remembered during the second week of classes that Professor Abbott, their new Transfiguration after McGonagall became Headmistress, taught them about the 'Avis' spell.

"You should read about the schedule before coming to class, idiots," he quickly snapped, masking his momentary panic with irritation. Goyle bowed his head in apology and went to sit on his other side. Scorpius thought he was lucky he was stuck with buffoons in this timeline. It was terribly easy to lie and manipulate them.

They were still ten minutes early before class would start so Scorpius took that time to idly observe the trickling sixth year Slytherins and Gryffindors. He was able to see Pansy and Blaise, who both quickly sat on the desk in front of them.

"Scorpy-pie, I told you to wait for me," Pansy said, complete with a pretty pout.

"Right, sorry," Scorpius said, trying his best not to grimace. Pansy Parkinson might be a bloody pretty witch, but she was super annoying. Scorpius now understood why his mother hated her very, very much.

Speaking of Astoria, Scorpius had merely caught a glimpse of his mother from afar. She was quite young, still in her fifth year, but her straight, black hair and warm blue eyes were unmistakable. He was swamped with schoolwork, Death Eater stuff, and Prefect work he hadn't really found the time to approach her.

"Swot alert," Pansy muttered under her breath. Blaise quirked a smile while Crabbe and Goyle snickered under their breaths.

Scorpius lifted an eyebrow as Hermione Granger came inside the room. She threw him a dirty look; seriously, he wasn't even doing anything! A Weasley quickly followed him inside, who flashed Crabbe a very crude gesture, and immediately sat on the desk beside Hermione. 'Ronald Weasley,' he instantly recognised, sneering a bit. He wasn't entirely a fan of Ron Weasley, even in the future. He was undoubtedly the reason why Rose seemed to still dislike him.