chapter twenty | documenting the greatest gift of all

i made it just in time. if you're reading this the day i posted it, in less than 24 hours i'm graduating from college and starting graduate school in just a few days. this has been an incredibly hard four years and it's time to flip to a new chapter. i wanted to get this chapter done for you guys as almost a graduation gift from me to you.

this chapter was hard. not once did i write this chapter without crying. it was triggering in all the ways possible. to complete this is a weight off my shoulders. the fog of my exhaustion with this chapter may be hiding its writing quality, so kindly point out any mistakes or typos.

with that, please enjoy <3

✦✧✦

"If ever there is a tomorrow where we're not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you."

- Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh

✦✧✦

I don't think Jessica meant for us to hear

I don't think Jessica meant for us to hear. The door was shut, and the only light in the room was the digital clock by my bedside reading 4:04 am. Sleep tugged at my eyelids, but my heart tugged harder as I listened to Jessica's sobs, hushed and muffled, yet heartbreaking all the same.

I turned and stuffed my face harder into my pillow. My body felt heavy with the weight of the day that's not even officially begun yet.

    There was a rustle. A ruffling of blankets, the creak of the couch, then footsteps padding softly against the carpeted floor. I felt his presence even before he tugged down the corner of the blanket and crawled into bed with me. The weight of a refusal on my tongue lasted for only a second before I accepted Chris's embrace beneath the sheets. He enveloped me, one arm beneath the crook of my neck and the other wrapped around my head, holding me to his chest.

"You can cry, too, Darce," he whispered. "It's okay."

My fingers curled tightly around the fabric of his shirt. His words released a knot within me, and after a few long minutes, I let the tears fall.

Through the sounds of Jessica's crying and the silence of my own, I sought comfort in the cool fabric of the sheets and the warmth of Chris's body until the relief of sleep took us all.