chapter one | documenting new life, new changes

it's here, it's here! thank you all so, so much for your love and support. i can't explain to you how much you guys uplift me. you make my every day brighter and i hope this chapter helped brighten your day in some way. i'm happy to be back. ignore weird typos and mistakes, and without further ado: enjoy! xx

COMMENT HERE: are you first time reader or re-reader? what time and day is it as you embark on this new journey with me?

also, huge thank you to hanan, aka @moonslices, for the wonderful covers she made me. one of them is at the top of the chapter <3

✦✧✦

"Venture outside your comfort zone. The rewards are worth it." - Rapunzel, Tangled.

✦✧✦

The halls were in an uproar

The halls were in an uproar. I gripped my bag closely to me as I edged closer to the row of lockers, trying not to touch anyone as I walked the complete opposite direction as everyone else. With everyone heading down to the cafeteria for lunch, and me going up to Mrs. Ichikawa's room, I felt like a fish swimming upstream. The noise became muffled as I entered the room, just at the far side of the hall. Mrs. Ichikawa was in the middle of rearranging numerous piles of paper stacked on her desk.

She didn't bother to look up as I greeted her, settling my bag onto one of the desks at the front of the classroom and perching myself up next to it. "Hello, Darcy," she said, breezily. "I remembered to get some forks for you. They're in the storage closet somewhere - probably on one of the bottom shelves?"

"Oh!" I jumped back down and headed for the closet. Sure enough, a pack of forks were placed on top of some bins filled with markers and colored pencils. "Thank you so much. If you hadn't, I totally would have forgot to drop by the cafeteria to get one."

"Not a problem." With a final shut of her desk drawer, she let out a huff of air and looked around. "Okay, I think I got everything I need. I need to quickly drive home to get Buddy's giraffe and drop that off at daycare. He's having the biggest fit that he doesn't have it, and Dom can't pick him up until later today. I'd rather he not throw a tantrum for the rest of the time he's there."

I laughed. "Go, go!" I shooed with a gesture of my hands. "His little world is breaking without it."

Mrs. Ichikawa made a face as I said that, but we both knew that Buddy's world was truly crumbling without his stuffed giraffe to protect him from the big, scary world. Especially without mommy and daddy there as first defense.

When she left, I sat down and pulled out my container of last night's dinner. The pasta was cold, but good nonetheless. At 11:35, on the dot, I pulled out my phone to call Ben. He said he'd have a quick break at this time and that he'd be able to keep me company for a bit. Sure enough, he answered on the second ring.