chapter twenty one | documenting two kids in love

long time no see, my friends. i've missed you guys so much. grad school's been super killer, but more on that later. in a rush to post this, so kindly let me know of any mistakes or typos. enjoy! x

✦✧✦

"Far better than any dream girl is one of flesh and blood. One warm and caring and right before your eyes."

– Grimsby, The Little Mermaid

✦✧✦

CHRIS POV

CHRIS POV

"And... There's the last of it," Reece announced with one last forceful zip of his luggage.

"Awesome," I said with a huff, demounting from said luggage with a salute. "Glad to be of service, oh struggling zipper. Now we can throw these suckers into the trunk." The rental car was due to be returned in just a little under an hour. Reece and I made good time finishing up the packing as Jessica and Darcy were out having one last coffee with some of their friends.

I helped Reece sweep the room for any lingering belongings. Any hidden charging cables, fallen jewelry, misplaced socks. I placed a mental checkmark on the bathroom, all clean besides some dirty towels in the sink. When I returned to the room, I let out a groan of horror. Reece was down on all fours, ass up, head practically under the bed.

"I can see your asshole, man, can you put that away?" I said with a kick to the area.

Reece swatted my foot away with a grunt and brushed off the area. "Knock it off. I gotta be thorough. I accidentally dropped and left the ring Jessica got me after our engagement in Japan once." He cringed at the memory. "Yeah, it was not a good flight back home."

I nodded, matching his cringed expression. "How did you forg– oh, shit!" Striding quickly over to the couch, I dropped to my knees, covered my ass with one hand (just in case), and reached underneath with the other.

"What's that?" Reece asked, peering over my shoulder as I stood and shook off the dust from the large sheet of paper. He leaned a bit closer, then slapped my shoulder with a holler. "Oh, hey! That's not half bad, little man! You and Darcy went drawing in the park or something?"

"It's what I drew in the competition this weekend when me and Darcy went to the festival. But..." My face scrunched the longer I looked at it. I really caved under the time pressure, and it shows. The rush was evident. It was messy, but not in a good way. The proportions of the buildings in the skyline were wrong and awkwardly spaced. I didn't have time to clean most of the lines. The absence of shading and detail made the whole thing flat. Hell, there were even large streaks of pencil from where crushed lead had fallen and I tried to swipe it away. "We didn't have a lot of time to finish it. Looks kinda shit. And basic. No wonder it didn't win."