chapter nine | documenting who has my love

didn't expect to see me so soon, huh? i'm telling you - college stops me from writing, but this is summer jess! going to try to write as much as i can before i go back <3

please note that darcy's journal entries have the cursive header. it is not an authors note. super big thank you to @-happybee- for the super cute cover! kindly point out any weird mistakes and happy reading xx

✦✧✦

"Open different doors, you may find a you there that you never knew was yours."

Mary Poppins.

✦✧✦

New Year's Eve never fails to remind me that everything and everyone has a countdown

New Year's Eve never fails to remind me that everything and everyone has a countdown. Time never stops, and we always find ourselves at the end of something. Today just happened to be the end of a whole entire year. Oh, and me sleeping at this very moment.

I tried my hardest to ignore the numerous incoming calls. The breaks in between each were small, and it didn't take long before the frustratingly annoying vibrations of my phone dragged me from my slumber. As I tugged my phone from where it charged beneath my pillow, I couldn't help the small, frustrated growl.

I answered without thinking. "Hello?" I bit into the phone.

"Woah. Sorry to wake you, Sleeping Beauty," the voice on the other side said. "Actually, no, I'm not. Get up."

My eyes fought a little harder to fight the slumber. This wasn't the voice I was expecting at seven in the morning. "Bryson?"

"Yup, yup. Happy New Year's Eve!" He sounded so awake – cheerful, even. How could anyone be in such a state this early in the morning?

I pulled myself into a sitting position, taking in the signs of early morning, like the faint hue of blue in the sky barely illuminating my room, and the sounds of Papa's snores still vibrating through the walls. "Why are you calling me so early? Everything okay?" I asked.

"Everything's fine. But we're going to all hang out right now. Bagels and some indoor fireworks I got online. I'm going to text you an address, okay? Meet us there."

"Us?"

"Yup," he continued. "You, me, Cooper, Marissa, and even Philip, if we can drag his ass over here. Cooper's calling him now. It's New Year's Eve, and we're going to have some fun. Countdown's begun. Seventeen hours left and time's ticking, so hurry over!" It didn't even sound like he was giving me a choice.

"Wait, but –"

"But what?" he laughed. "Yeah, I know, it's fucking early. But c'mon, Darcy! I'll feed you."

"It's just . . ." My toes curled against the bed. The words, "why are you inviting me?" were stuck in my throat.

Ever since the dance, I've only seen Chris's group a handful of times, occasionally eating lunch with them at school or stopping to talk to them in the halls. All this interaction was prodded on by Chris. But now, Chris wasn't here. He and his family were celebrating the holidays with Rebecca's parents in California. Did he ask them to invite me over knowing that little Darcy would be holed up in her apartment watching holiday movies all month? That's surely what I've been doing, anyway.