A Big Bad Brawl

Devastation. Horror. Hopelessness.

Those are all things that I felt after my meeting with Kortney. But, more importantly, I felt poor.

I hadn't lost any money (I was actually making decent cash with my Instagram gig) but I knew that the goal I was striving for would soon be gone. The amount of money I dreamed of would never be reached. The frappes and Toca Boca would be left unconsumed. My heart forever unhappy.

Kortney promised that my secret would be safe with her if I did something in return. She didn't want to just be a weatherman anymore but a big shot reporter. Nothing would convince the News Station of her ability like getting Ronald McDonald to agree to be on their show.

What was I supposed to do? Come clean and beg for forgiveness? Try to convince McDonald to go on the show just to be bombarded with personal questions? Well, I picked the latter.

"Try to speed things up please Mr. McDonald," I sigh, "they need to check your mic."

The dressing room door swung open and revealed the clown himself. But he didn't look like I clown I had come to recognize.

He was wearing a tailored black suit and his red hair was combed back. His dazzling storm grey, pale moon, churning ash, hot concrete orbs stared back at me. I had to advert my eyes before I started drooling.

"I had to keep these on," McDonald looked down at his clown shoes, "Kaylynn made me."

"Kaylynn decides your wardrobe?"

"Not usually but she's mad that we left the Charlie's Chicken Chicken at the garden. I think she has a little crush on the guy."

Ronald McDonald strolls away before I could say anything else and steps up on set. There was a live audience present but most of the people hadn't shown up yet.

Some worker holding a camera bumped into me and uttered an apology. I looked up and suddenly recognized him.

"Are you Benton?" I wonder, taking a look at his insanely tall stature.

"Unfortunately," he replies.

Benton was a tech YouTuber back in the day but was canceled after getting caught modifying drones without permission. I watched the videos where he made cool lego inventions. Very rad. He made a lego gum ball machine!

"I loved your channel," I exclaim with a grin, "very fascinating."

"Thanks. Are you by chance an independent?"

I almost gasp in shock. Asking my political beliefs out of nowhere? Very odd. No wonder he got canceled. What if we were in a more conservative state? Like Oklahoma or something?

"I'm a leftist fool!"

"I don't mean to offend. I only ask because of your Harambe shirt. A very bold political statement. Anyway, see you around I guess."

Benton walks off and I fight the urge to kick his legs to see if they're secretly stilts.

"Shay," Ericka calls from behind me, "did you hear who the interviewer is going to be?"

"Kortney, right?"

"Kortney dipped to go on a date with some dude name Damon Salvatore. They had to find a replacement!"

I thought she was blackmailing me to be a reporter! Now she's not even going to show?

I was about to tell Ericka to spit it out, but I heard a panicked shout. McDonald was screaming at me to look out but it was too late. I was tackled to the floor.

I heard gasps and shouts from onlookers but I couldn't even make out what was happening. My head crashed on the ground and I quickly put up my arms to protect my face. Someone was pounding on my forearms, trying to break through to hit my face.

My eyes were squeezed shut but it suddenly clicked in my mind who was attacking me. That's right... the Charlie's Chicken Chicken.

I quickly remembered my fight training that Jaiden gave me. She went to bully camp, so she knew a thing of two. I used my elbow to pop the chicken in the neck and tried to squirm from his grasp.

Suddenly we were both on our feet, fist up. He swung and I managed to duck at the last second. I steadied myself before roundhouse kicking him in the chest. He stumbled back but it didn't seem to affect him too much. That was my only move and he barley blinked!

I braced myself for another punch but a figure suddenly dashed in. Ronald McDonald himself absorbed the blow with ease and flipped the chicken over his shoulder. The Charlie's Chicken Chicken lay flat on his back and some people on set threw themselves on him to keep him down. I noticed that even Benton helped in piling on top of the bird.

"Are you alright," McDonald asks at the exact second I lost all consciousness.