Part 6

This is weird.

Thats the only way he could possibly describe his situation. I mean he was fake dating some random guy he had never even known until about two weeks ago and his friends were all obsessed with him.

And by friends he means lily but ever since that day, frank had of course told alice who in turn told molly who told arthur and by the time he clocked in on Monday everyone at work had heard.

It didn't help that james' new favorite hobby was bothering severus at work any chance he got.

Once he came into the cafe five times just to order one cookie, tease at severus until he was this close to hitting james over the head and then leave.

I mean severus had a job to do, he had bills to pay and grades to keep up.

He was just glad james hadn't found his other job. The one where he tutors underclassman because THAT would've been a disaster.

Just thinking of this debacle was giving severus a head ache so he decided to hoist himself off his bed and go bother marlene or lily in their room.

" hey lils? Marlene?" He called into the apartment.

No responses came which made severus worry since neither of them had ever been known to be quiet. That was until he heard a string of giggles, high pitched and entertained coming from the kitchen.

Of course. Its 11 pm on a thursday, of course they would be in the kitchen.

" hey, what are you two doing here?" He asked.

Lily was staring at her phone and marlene, already sitting on the kitchen island was eating a bag of chips.

" shes texting a boy." Marlene smirked.

Lily gasped and slapped her arm, her eyes darting to severus then her screen.

" its not a boy, its james."

Severus blinked, mind blanking for a moment. He didn't know why it surprised him so much, it made something deep inside him sting but it went unnoticed.

He shook his head and cleared his throat, walking to the fridge to grab a drink.

" really? Why?" He said flatly.

Lily picked up on the weirdness in his voice and smiled evily.

" are you jealous?" She raised an eyebrow. Marlene whistled and put her attention on severus who was chugging his bottle of water like he had never had a drop of liquid before.

" no. Of course not, why would i be?"

" uh because you two are talking right? I mean it's obvious you'll start dating soon." Lily said excitedly.

Of course lily would be excited about that. Severus rolled his eyes and set the bottle down on the counter.

Wait. Is he supposed to be jealous? I mean is this part of the act? Has to be right?

" uh yeah. Sure, fine i was a little jealous." He admitted, even if it was a lie.

Lily and marlene cooed, unleashing high pitched wails of adoration for the fake couple to be.

Severus cringed at that, he drew back until he felt himself walking out of the kitchen and into the living room. The girls followed him, like they usually do when they want to pester severus about something.

" so, what do you think of james?" Marlene asked, taking the seat on the couch next to him.

" he's fine." Severus shrugged, eyes trained on finding a channel to watch on the TV.

" come on, elaborate ." Lily urged.

Severus' arm dropped and he sighed. Nobody told him he would have to answer questions about fake feelings he didn't have.

" i like him." He said simply. It wasnt a complete lie. He does like james but he knew how the girls would interpret it as.

And again went the high pitched squealing, this time just by his ear.

He smiled softly at their antics and they started talking about this 'new found information' which was really just a lie Severus told to keep them at bay.

Nonetheless his job was done and be could focus on finding a channel interesting enough to grab his attention.

In the end he just went back to his room and read one of the books arthur suggested.

————————————————————

" do you like severus?" Peter asked randomly.

James almost choked on his food when peter asked, getting worried glances from his three roommates.

" what do you mean?" Sirius asked the question james was too busy choking on fried rice to ask.

" i mean he's been around Severus a lot lately. He certainly spends more time with severus than lily. He must really like him as a friend to sell it this well right?" Peter explained.

Sirius and remus both nodded, james just gulped down his drink and tried not to look his friends in the eyes.

" so do you? Like him i mean." Remus asked.

James swallowed and looked over at the expectant faces.

" yeah. I like him. He's a cool dude. I mean half of what i do is just buy him dinner and annoy him but he isn't like an ass to me so." He shrugged.

Remus nodded and smiled.

" im glad you two get along. I mean it would've been real awkward for your thing if you didn't."

" yeah can you imagine? Ugh it would've been a disaster." Sirius bounced off of remus' point.

Peter chuckled quietly like he did and sirius started talking about school and his newest architecture project.

James stayed quiet, having nothing to add but also thinking of his life decisions and how it led to this point.

He just wanted the girl and somehow his stuoid brilliant mind had gotten him here.

And maybe peter was right. He had been spending more time with severus than lily. I mean that defeats the whole point right?

He just shook the thoughts out of his head and focused on the food in his hand.