Chapter 3

I woke up this morning feeling exhausted because I stayed up so late to do coding. My brain is all foggy from all the work. I jump out of bed and, like every morning, I stare at my phone. If I don't do it, it is never going to happen. I gather every bit of confidence that is left to dial the number of my home in London. As much as I hate it, I need to.

"Hello"

A deep voice comes out of the phone I am holding. Even if it is just a polite form of salutation, I have no idea what to answer. I am already regretting this.

"Hello" the voice says again.

"H-hello" I say with the least confident tone I ever spoke with.

"GEORGE" he says loudly.

"Hey y-yeah it's me"

"You haven't called in ages, and now you just call us in the middle of the afternoon like nothing has ever happened"

He sounds a mix of anger and disappointment.

"Sorry I was occupied a lot, you know. I made a lot of friends"

That is a complete lie. The only human being I talked to since I arrived is Dream and still, we met yesterday. I can't call him a friend yet.

"Cut the bullshit George, you don't have friends"

"Y-yes I do, I have Dream" I say, a little bothered by my father's comment.

"What the heck is Dream" he says, like I am turning insane.

"Don't worry about it"

My mind goes back to the boy I met yesterday. Why does he call himself dream... Maybe he hates his name. I am lost in my thoughts for a second before my dad talks again.

"I'm pretty sure you called to talk to your sister"

No answer.

"She is not here for now. She is sleeping at her boyfriend's house"

(By the way her sister is like 16 not like 8)

Boyfriend? I didn't know my sister has a boyfriend. Why has she never told me before? I am such an idiot I should have called her before. She's probably even madder than my dad.

I stop the call with my dad and tears start to run down my cheeks a little. I could pretend that all I love is Florida, but I still miss London so much. The only thing that makes me happy so far is going to the beach. The only logical thing I can do is to go there right now.

My face is still red because of the crying, but I don't care. I walk straight to my little spot on the beach, ignoring the confused look on the people's faces. I arrive there faster than usual to go sit on my rock.

The beach is full of people, especially kids. I don't know that so many people could enjoy being in the same place. The thought of being in the middle of this crowd make me shiver despite the hot temperature. My mind keeps looking from one face to the other, all happy and enjoying their time.

As I am contemplating the view, a tall man from the lifeguard's chair is indicating to me to go down to the beach. It takes me a few seconds to realize who it is: Dream. I don't know how to react since I don't want to bother him or to distract him, but he keeps motioning me to come down.

I quickly make my way there from behind. The sand is hot under my feet as I take off my shoes to walk properly. I make my way towards him as he climbs down from his chair to greet me. He is wearing a black shirt and a red swimsuit. He has a big smile on his face as he walks towards me. I can't help but notice again how attractive this man looks. He seems pretty muscular and very tall. It left me wondering what my life would look like if I was this hot.

"Hello creepy stare" he says, laughing a little.

"Hey don't call me that" I say trying to look serious.

"Yeah well you were still staring"

I quickly look away.

"Whatever," I respond "Shouldn't you be watching kids swimming?"

"Well no I'm on my break right now. I saw you up there and was wondering why you like this exact place so much"

" I don't know honestly, I guess it's just far away from all this agitation. I prefer this place when it is completely empty"

"Same you know. I like surfing at night after my job with my friends"

"It actually looks really fun" I respond, looking at the ground.

Dream knows exactly at this moment what I am feeling. He knows that I don't have many friends since I told him earlier. His hand makes its way under my chin, slowly lifting my head back to look at him. He has a big smile.

"You can join us anytime you know, or you can stay up there staring" he says pointing at my spot and laughing a little.

In other circumstances I would get fake angry at him and call him an idiot but at this moment he really makes me happy.

"Thank you"

We both look at each other for a few seconds before a scream is heard in the distance.

"DREAMMMMMM"

Dream looks at the man who is yelling. He is making his way towards them. As he reaches his final destination, out of breath, he looks at me.

"Hello?"

"Hey George this is Nick and Nick this is George" Dream says smiling.

Nick looks at Dream in the eyes letting a little smirk as Dream roll his eyes. I don't know what to do since I am the most socially awkward person on this planet. Dream starts to notice what was going on.

"I met him yesterday on the beach before joining you guys"

Good thing he didn't mention the starring part. He likes to bring it up in our conversations.

"Nice to meet you" The guy quickly says. "You have to go back though Dream, you're replacing Karl"

"Yeah give me a minute"

Nick makes his way back to the small group of lifeguards. Dream turns back at me with an apologetic glare.

"I have to go, but be here around 8 tonight" he says, starting to make his way back to the group.

"Wait, I don't know how to surf"

He turned around facing me.

"Don't worry I'll teach you"