02 | ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡ sᴛuᴅᴇɴᴛ

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

solitary ; done or existing alone.
/ˈsɒlɪt(ə)ri/

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Last night, another victim has been reported to be missing, making it the 5th attack this week. The police are still searching for his body and all the other victims of the recent kidnappings prior to this one. For the time being, it is highly advisable to stick in groups and never wander around alone at night."

"Another missing person?" Commented Hueningkai anxiously, his eyes glued to Soobin's phone screen, which was broadcasting the report.

"I don't think we should be worried, though," spoke Taehyun rationally. "They seem to be only taking place in Suwon, and we're currently in Ansan, so it should be okay."

"It's just a little unsettling to know how many people have gone missing," Soobin sighed, keeping his phone away as he pushed his books aside.

"Hasn't a similar phenomenon happened before? Around 15 years ago?" The youngest asked.

"Right, I remember my parents talking about how a similar series of kidnappings took place during their age—wait, let me search it up," Taehyun said, taking his own phone out.

"Good morning, class," spoke Ms Jung's soothing voice as she sailed into the classroom. The students immediately shifted their seats and cleared their desks, greeting their teacher in unison.

Behind her was a boy, a new face to the class, who received many intrigued stares.

"As you can see here, we'll be having a new classmate joining us this term. Would you like to introduce yourself?" Ms Jung asked, turning to the black-haired boy.

"Hello, my name is Choi Yeonjun," he greeted monotonously, his eyes ice-cold as they roved across the classroom, returning each of the student's gaze.

"Very well then, please treat him well, okay?" She requested, earning a chorus of lively 'okay!'s from class. "You may have a seat at the back, next to Soobin," Ms Jung continued, gesturing at the boy with dark brown hair, who was seated at the very back of the classroom; the chair next to him vacant.

Yeonjun made his way towards his seat, drawing the attention of the class while doing so.

"Have a good day, everyone!" Ms Jung smiled as the bell rang before walking out of the classroom.

"Hello! I'm Hueningkai," said the boy with pale blonde hair as he turned his seat around to face Yeonjun.

"Hello, Hueningkai," he responded flatly, his voice deprived of emotion, almost robotic.

"Where are you from? I'm guessing you just moved to Ansan since it's rare for people to transfer here in the middle of the school year," noted the boy wearing the school's vest. His name tag reading Kang Taehyun.

"I just moved from Suwon."

"Ah, well, I guess it's because of the recent kidnappings happening in that area, isn't it? Well, then I guess it's pretty reasonable."

Just then, the bell rang as everyone in the class began to get up from their seats.

"It's history right now. Would you like us to show you the way to the room?" Taehyun offered as the four of them got up.

"No worries, I can manage," replied Yeonjun, his facial expression not changing in the slightest as he left the classroom, leaving the trio behind.