11 | ᴛᴇʟᴇᴘᴀᴛʜɪᴄ

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

capable of transmitting thoughts to other people and of knowing  their thoughts

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

It was late at night as Yeonjun sat silently in his bedroom. The exhaustion from school starting to sink in, and all he could think about was Soobin—

A knock came from the door as Yeonjun sat up instantly.

"Your mother would like to see you," said the maid who entered.

"I'll be on my way then, just give me a couple of minutes," Yeonjun replied as he got up from his bed.

The sudden notice of his presence being wanted by his mother made Yeonjun feel slightly unnerved. This was a rare occasion. For all his life, his mother had been more of a stranger to him. She simply existed in the same house as he did.

Even most of their conversations never felt personal; all she wanted to say to him had to be delivered by Secretary Ji. She has always been more of a business-oriented than a family person, and Yeonjun knew that well.

But that doesn't stop Yeonjun from wishing that his mother would show some affection towards him, to spare some of her time to spend it with him- just like the mothers in shows and books, who would sit by their child's bed and listen to their concerns.

This was one of the many factors that made Yeonjun miss his dad even more—a dad he never even got the chance to meet.

His father's death has always been a closed topic, and whenever he tried asking his mother about it, she would simply shut the topic away or divert the conversation somewhere else.

He has heard fragments of his parent's story from some of his relatives.

Romantic relationships between humans and vampires never work out.

That was what he learned from his parent's story.

They were star-crossed lovers, sharing a forbidden relationship. So young, so foolish, blinded by pure love.

His father was brutally killed by a group of vampires one night. And he was found, dead, in front of his house the next morning.

He was never spoken of again.

Shortly after that, his mother was conceived with a baby boy. Soon figuring out that the father of the child was no other than her late lover.

Her parents begged her to opt for an abortion, telling her that she was too young to be competent enough to make room for raising a child. But she didn't listen, insisting that she will raise her son just fine. The child was also the last she will ever remember of her lover.

And just as she had anticipated, she delivered to a beautiful boy. He had his father's smile. That day, she made a promise, vowing to take care of the child with her dying breath.

But she could only juggle her parent and work-life for so long. As her wine-making business began to grow, she got busier, finding less time to spend with her son.

With the need for someone who could help her with the business and raising her son, she met Ji Hae Won. Ever since then, Secretary Ji has been a part of their family.

Without even realising, Aeri started growing distant from Yeonjun. She was getting too caught up in her work to even realise how much she has neglected her child, abusing the fact that she now had a caretaker to look after Yeonjun and therefore sought to the thought of not needing to care for him as much.

Kim Ji Woo stepped in as his mother's business partner sometime after that, and her business reached its peak. Everything was going well, except for the relationship she shared with her son, who was growing exceptionally quick.

And before she even knew it, they became so distant, like strangers living under the same roof who shared nothing more than hi's and bye's.

Yeonjun gave a light knock on the door before stepping into his mother's bedroom. She was holding onto a glass of wine, clearly not taking notice of her son's presence as she didn't even spare a glance at him.

"Madam, Yeonjun is here," Secretary Ji spoke.

"You wanted to see me, mother?"

"Yes, I did," she spoke, putting down her glass as she gestured for him to take a seat by the table. "How was school?"

"Just normal."

"Are you friends with any mortals?" She asked. And just like that, the atmosphere completely changed as Yeonjun sat up straighter.

"N-no, of course not, mother," he mumbled.

She raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

"Friendships with humans are worthless. They're selfish, greed running through their veins. They earn your trust and take advantage of you, and when they grow old, they leave you alone in this cold world. And just like that—" she snapped her bony fingers "—your years of friendship, gone."

There it was, his mother's disapproval of the half of Yeonjun that was human. The half that came from his father. Yeonjun sat there, not daring to make a sound. His mother had always reminded how humans made vampires weak. How humans would mend their sympathy and emotions into the moulds of their steel heart—making them vulnerable to the dangers man may do when given the upper hand.

"You may go now," she dismissed. He got up with a jolt, bowing down before quickly rushing out of the room.

"Has Yeonjun always been this bad at lying?" Aeri sighed, turning around to face her secretary.

"Not that I have been aware of," Secretary Ji replied.

"Knowing him, he will definitely not take my words seriously," she grinned, spinning the glass of red liquor in her right hand. "I want you to follow him, find out the kind of people Yeonjun surrounds himself with."

"Understood, madam," her secretary obeyed.