40 | ᴍɪsᴛʀᴜsᴛ

*. °•☆|•°∵ ∵°•|☆•°. *

"So, tell me," Beomgyu chuckled, circling his hostage like a bear ready to feast, "who sent you?" He asked, cocking a grin to make sure Jae Yi caught his sharp canine fang.

A series of muffled groans replied.

"Oh, silly me. I forgot you couldn't talk," the vampire continued to taunt, striding towards Jae Yi before ripping away the piece of tape from his mouth, leaving him heavy for air.

"T-they t-t-told me not t-t-o tell anyone anything!" Jae Yi spluttered helplessly, squirming helplessly in his seat as Beomgyu's ruby-red eyes bored into his.

"And who's they?" He asked. Jae Yi kept his mouth shut as Beomgyu let out a sigh. "Look, I don't have much time here, so it's either we do it the easy way: you tell me who sent you to tail after Soobin, and I'll let you out, free to live for another day―" Jae Yi gulped "―or, we do it the hard way where I break every last bone in your body until you can barely walk for the rest of your life." Sweat was trickling down the sides of Jae Yi's forehead now. "So, what will it be? The easy way, or the hard way?"

Jae Yi remained silent.

"The hard way it is then," Beomgyu smirked; his eyes, clouded with bloodlust, flicked towards Jae Yi's scared face as he licked his lips hungrily.

A series of agonising screams resounded across the room.

"We need to talk," Minhyuk ordered. Soobin tensed in his place. The last time his brother had ever used that tone to speak to him was when he was 5 after stealing his ice cream―but something about the solemn expression on his face told Soobin that this would be more than a quarrel over desserts.

"He's not human, is he?"

Soobin didn't know what to say. "Who? I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about," he brushed off, about to turn away―

"Yeonjun."

He instantly came to a halt.

"It's either you genuinely didn't know about it, or you're trying to play dumb," Minhyuk continued, walking towards Soobin. "I think it's the latter."

"How does that matter? Human or not, that won't change anything about our relationship because I knew about it from the beginning," Soobin clipped.

"He's a vampire. He's dangerous! God knows what he's going to do to you―I don't care how well he "treats" you or loves you. It still isn't in his nature to be all soft and loving around humans―"

"You're making it sound as if he's a despicable being when you're the one being vile here," Soobin fought back, feeling tears rising. "How can you make such assumptions about him when you haven't even met him? Here you are, stereotyping the one person I love when you barely even know about vampires?"

"Vampires?" Minhyuk snorted, walking away, "oh, I know a lot more about them than you think," he said sharply before walking into his room and shutting his door with a loud SLAM.

Soobin stood there, feeling an avalanche of emotions falling on him all at once, feeling so overwhelmed that he hadn't put much thought into the last thing his brother had said.

Walking out of the shed, Beomgyu checked his own to see 13 missed calls from Yeonjun.

He must've woken up, he thought, feeling relieved as he rang for the latter.

"Hello―"

"Why weren't you answering my calls?"

"I was busy handling something," Beomgyu replied casually.

"You mean holding Jae Yi hostage?" He heard Yeonjun snort.

"Well―yes, only for a short while, though."

"You didn't do anything too bad to him, did you? The last thing I want is to have this matter involving the police and my mother."

"Look who's talking!" Beomgyu spluttered. "You, who had the guts to assault him on campus and getting yourself into trouble in the process."

He heard nothing but silence ringing in his phone for a few moments.

"What I mean to say is, you didn't do anything too bad, did you?" Yeonjun's voice spoke through the phone, sounding slightly flustered.

"Yes. Because unlike you, I can control my impulses."

Now it was Yeonjun's turn to laugh at his hypocritical cousin.

"Just toyed a little with his mind. Didn't do much to him physically, though. But I guarantee that I've mentally traumatised him into remembering nothing about this ever again, including your identity," Beomgyu replied calmly, feeling very much like the older one right now having to clean up after the older's mistakes.

"Thank you, Beomgyu."

"Don't mention it," he sighed.

Right after ending the call, Beomgyu's gaze was met by another's in front of him. Recognising at once, Beomgyu stood in his spot, dumbfounded for a while for them to be meeting so suddenly.

"Beomgyu!" The younger greeted, walking towards him. "What are you doing here?"

"I had some matters to attend to," Beomgyu clipped, keeping his phone away. "What about you?"

"Went to a nearby convenience store to get some drinks," Taehyun replied, holding up a plastic bag, "I have a friend over right now. Since you're here, do you want to tag along?"

"Sure," Beomgyu replied, not bothering to stifle a growing smile as they walked back towards Taehyun's house.

Back in Taehyun's place, Beomgyu was introduced to Hueningkai―who seemed to have coincidentally matched his level of chaos and energy as the two naturally got along pretty well. The clock tolled 11 o'clock as the trio found themselves sitting in front of Taehyun's game console in the living room, playing their nth match of Mario Kart.

Amidst their game, the front door swung open as Yeonjun walked in, looking relatively old compared to the three adults looking very much like excited kids intensely duelling over a game.

"Are you guys having some house party?" Yeonjun asked.

"Wanna join us?" Hueningkai offered, his eyes still glued to the screen.

"I'll pass," Yeonjun yawned, feeling his back start to ache from the area he got hit as he trudged towards his room.

"He looks tired," Taehyun noted.

"That's probably because he got hit by a metal pole by Jae Yi and got carried back to Soobin's place. But don't worry, I've already settled Jae Yi," Beomgyu spoke coolly, getting up from his seat as he reached for the bottle of wine he had brought Yeonjun.

Getting a glass, Beomgyu poured himself some wine as he downed it, getting ready for their next game.

"YOU'RE A VAMPIRE TOO?!" Hueningkai spluttered, taking in the irises of Beomgyu's eyes glowing red, similar to Yeonjun's.

"He's Yeonjun's cousin," Taehyun explained. Hueningkai didn't look any less shocked as Beomgyu flashed a smile in the younger's direction.

"So...one more round of Mario Kart then?"