one

Hi everyone.

I have had huge writer's block with the sequel to this book, Defeated, and no matter how much I try I haven't been able to write any new chapters. I somehow found myself reading back this book to try and get myself back into the story to get the motivation to write more of the sequel and it was shocking how many times I cringed reading this book back.

I do forget that I finished Shy when I was 16 years old. Six years on, I think it's finally time to rewrite and update this book so I can read it without cringing so horribly at 16 year old me. I hope by rewriting this it will get me back into the story and I can continue to write more updates for Defeated. 

In the meantime, enjoy this rewritten version of Shy!:)

ps: obviously there will still be grammar and spelling mistakes etc. I'm not perfect and it is super easy to miss things when I reread chapters, but I'll try my best to spot them!

(The book cover was sent to me all the way back in 2018 by a lovely girl called Skye! Thank you very much!)

*

"She's shy," Brooklyn shrugged. She glanced at Indianna who looked like she wanted to be anywhere but in the classroom with them.

"Well, come on. I don't bite," Greyson urged and Indianna stiffened, just like before.

"Don't talk about that," Indianna said, her voice was still quiet but it was firm.

"Struck a nerve have I?" Greyson wondered. He raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Somebody likes it rough."

*

Indianna Hughs had always been the quiet one; the shy one. She always stayed in the background. She blended in and never got noticed. She liked it that way. When she's forced to move schools, she is not happy. Everyone notices a new kid and she didn't want that attention. Especially not from Mr Bad Boy who seemed to be very interested in her.

ONE

"You'll be fine," Indianna's mother said and waved her hand dismissively at her daughter. Indianna looked out of the car window and raised her dark eyebrows at the large red-bricked building in front of them. "Just be social and make friends!"

"Social," Indianna muttered and grabbed her bag from the back seat. "Sure." She climbed out of the car, ignoring her mother's cheerful wave goodbye. She slammed the door behind her and glanced up at the school, looking around the school car park that was flooded with many students, laughing and talking to their friends.

Students that noticed Indianna.

Indianna groaned quietly and swung her bag over her shoulder. She lowered her gaze as she made her way up the steps that led to the school and didn't look up as she walked through the bustling corridors, gritting her teeth and flinching every time she accidentally barged shoulders with someone. She thought that if she couldn't see anyone, that maybe they couldn't see her either.

She knew she was being stupid.

The town that Indianna and her mother had moved to wasn't small, but it wasn't big either. Not everyone knew each other personally, but they would recognise a new face from a mile away. This made Indianna's anxiety rise. She hated being noticed. She clutched her hands tighter around the strap of her bag and carried on down the busy corridor. She had come to the school a few days before and the Principle had shown her around so it didn't take her long to find her locker. She fumbled with the lock and hurriedly grabbed the textbooks that were stacked neatly inside, stuffing them into her bag.