four

FOUR

"How was school?"

Indianna's mother, Iris, was by the door when Indianna arrived home after school. She was smiling kindly but Indianna didn't smile back. Indianna had a difficult relationship with her mother and she was quickly growing tired of it. Iris had been a wonderful mother when Indianna was younger, she adored her and did everything she could for her. That was until Indianna's father died. From then on Iris had retreated into herself and didn't show Indianna the love or affection that she once had. She still cared about her daughter, but Indianna often felt unwanted. She didn't think her mother cared anymore, so on the few days that Iris seemed to perk up and take an interest in Indianna's life, Indianna knew it wouldn't last. She knew that her mother would lose interest the next day or the day after and Iris would go back to walking around the house, lost in her own mind and not talking to Indianna about anything personal and the only conversations they would have would remain basic and simple.

"It was fine," Indianna said and continued up the stairs to her new room that was littered with cardboard boxes containing Indianna's belongings that she had yet to unpack. She sat down on her double bed and fell back onto the soft duvet. Her eyes fluttered shut and she sighed, her mind going back to the day. She thought of the voice in her mind and then of Greyson before realising that there was a pushing feeling in her head. The voice was in her head.

Indianna's eyes flew open and she sat up, ready to prepare herself to talk to the voice, but her world started to spin as she sat up and she raised her hand to her mouth, suddenly feeling very queasy. A wave of nausea made her gag and heat washed over her body, she could feel sweat forming on her back already. Indianna looked across the room to the door that led to her ensuite and she cautiously rose from the bed, focusing on the door that was swaying slightly in her eyes.

"Oh no," Indianan whispered as her stomach churned and she scrambled to the bathroom, throwing herself onto the floor by the toilet. She gagged and seconds later the contents of the day's lunch was sitting in the toilet bowl with a gasping Indianna clutching at the side of the toilet, gripping the seat tightly to hold herself up. She suddenly felt very weak and she groaned as she was sick again. After, she found herself lying back on the bathroom floor, feeling too weak to hold herself up. Her heavy eyes closed and it wasn't long before darkness overtook her.

*

Indianna woke up with a start, jolting up from the bathroom floor. Her skin was slick with sweat and she was breathing heavily. She rubbed her eyes and pulled herself up from the floor, stumbling weakly back into her room. It was dark outside and after checking the clock she realised that it was morning, she had been asleep on the bathroom floor all night.

Indianna sighed and returned to her bathroom, squinting at herself in the mirror when she turned the light on. Her skin was pale and she had dark circles under her eyes, making her look as bad as she felt.

She decided to shower, hoping that the cool water would help tame her temperature and soothe the headache that was starting to form. It offered her temporary relief, but as soon as she stepped out she felt the heat washing over her again and she felt ten times worse than she did the previous evening.

She dried and dressed in slow motion. Any fast movement made her vision blur and sickness formed in her stomach. She pulled a vest stop over her head and stumbled, reaching out for her bed for support. Eventually, she dressed fully and fell back onto the bed, panting with effort.

Her body felt like it was being engulfed in tiny needles and she whimpered quietly, hating this feeling. She reached down for her shoes, not wanting to go to school but she hoped that a distraction was all she needed. She was sure that she'd feel better once she was on her way to school.

*Why are you going to school? You are clearly ill, sugar.*

Indianna had been waiting for the voice to say something. She had felt his presence before she fell asleep the night before and she had felt him since she had woken up. *You took your time to speak up.*

*Why are you going to school, sugar?*

*It's my second day. I can't skip it already.*

*Yes, you can, and you should.*

*No, I shouldn't. Besides, I am not being stuck at home with my mother.*

*You don't get along?*

Indianna frowned. *Not really.*

*That shouldn't be the reason you are going to school.*

*It's not the only reason.*

*You should stay at home, sugar.*

*I'm fine, this will probably all be gone in a couple of hours.* Indianna sounded like she wasn't only trying to convince the voice, but herself too.

The voice scoffed. *It probably won't.*

Indianna ignored the voice and stood up. *I guess we're going to find out.*