eleven

ELEVEN

Indianna's father had once told her that if you dream about someone it means they are thinking about you. Now she was older she knew that this wasn't the case, but the idea had excited her when she was a child. So, when she woke the following morning after her dinner with Greyson, remembering the dreams she had overnight, she couldn't help but wonder if she had been on Greyson's mind just like how he had been on hers.

She couldn't get him out of her head.

Her sleep had been restless, dreams were mixed between Greyson and the wolf that she had seen the previous night. She woke up countless times, gasping and her heart racing at the thought of the wolf, but then she fell back to sleep and slept soundly dreaming of Greyson.

"You were home late last night."

Indianna jumped in fright when she entered the kitchen, not expecting to see her mother sitting at the kitchen island, drinking a cup of tea. Indianna rubbed her eyes, too tired to try and force conversation with Iris. She nodded and walked over to the coffee, flicking the switch on the kettle and spooning a heap of instant coffee into a mug.

"It was past midnight. On a school night. You're seventeen, Indianna. I'd like you home before midnight on weekends and before 11 pm on school nights. It's not safe by yourself."

"I wasn't by myself." Indianna had her back to Iris, so she didn't see her stiffen and grit her teeth at the thought of Greyson.

"You know I don't approve of that boy," Iris muttered.

Indianna poured water into her mug and swirled it around with a teaspoon, sighing. "You wanted me to make friends. The first time I go out for dinner with someone you disapprove of them. Make your mind up, mum."

"Anyone but him-"

"Until you give me any explanation as to how you know him then I'm not listening to you. Just go back to forgetting about me, mum, it really was easier that way."

Iris's face paled and she lowered her gaze when Indianna turned around and walked over to the fridge, taking out the milk. "I'm trying, Indie. I really am."

"Maybe if you had tried earlier then there wouldn't be an issue between us."

"I don't want there to be an issue."

"Neither did I when I was younger, growing up without the support of my mother, having to deal with so many things alone, because you weren't there for me. I've grown used to not having you for support, that's not going to change now."

"Can't you see I'm trying?"

Indianna groaned and slammed the fridge door shut. "This is giving me a headache," she murmured and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I'm going to head to school."

"I can drive you-"

"I want to walk," Indianna murmured and turned on her heel and left the kitchen, not wanting to face her mother any longer. She made her way back upstairs slowly, not having the energy to go any faster. She grabbed her bag, pulled her shoes on and threw a pack of painkillers in her bag and reminded herself to take them later to help with the headache that was forming. Once she had everything ready, she headed out of her room, but she stopped when something caught her eye. She frowned and walked over to the window, peering out and scowling when she saw a familiar car parked outside her house.

"What are you doing here?" Indianna asked once she exited her house and walked up to the car that was parked up against the curb.

Greyson looked up at Indianna through his dark lashes, blinking curiously. "Good morning to you too. Why else would I be parked outside your house, sugar? Jump in."