three

THREE

Indianna had made it to lunch and she couldn't be happier. All she wanted to do was find a quiet corner of the library and be by herself for the first time that day. During her third lesson, she had Ace, Greyson's friend, trying to talk to her and then Brandon in the fourth. They both seemed nice, but Indianna hated them talking to her. She was better alone. Being alone was what she was good at.

The voice hadn't spoken to her again and Indianna smiled as she opened her locker. Maybe she was just nervous and was imagining it? Indianna crossed her fingers and hoped that was the case. She placed her books into her locker and when she shut it, Brooklyn appeared out of nowhere. "Indianna!" She grinned, making Indianna jump from fright.

"You scared me," Indianna said and Brooklyn smiled apologetically.

"Sorry," Brooklyn laughed. Indianna wondered if Brooklyn was ever not happy. She had yet to see her without a bubbly smile on her face. "So, I thought, considering you don't know anyone, did you want to sit with my friends and me at lunch?"

"Oh..." Indianna bit her lip, shifting awkwardly on her feet. She avoided eye contact. "Um, thanks, but I was going to go to the library."

"You don't want to meet everyone?" Brooklyn's face dropped slightly and Indianna felt guilty for turning her down, but she still shook her head.

"I... I er, I need to get some work done at the library." Indianna made up an excuse as Brooklyn's attention was drawn to someone behind Indianna.

"I told you that you were a social outcast."

Indianna turned round to see Greyson looking down at her, raising his dark eyebrows in amusement.

"Greyson!" Brooklyn gasped. "Don't be rude!"

Greyson smirked. "What? It's the truth."

"You're an asshole, but you don't see me telling you that!"

"I know very well what you think of me, Brooklyn," Greyson said dismissively. "Why don't you run along so I can have a chat with your new friend?"

Brooklyn narrowed her eyes at Greyson and crossed her arms over her chest. "You're such a dick."

Greyson glanced at Brooklyn with his dark eyes. "You better watch your mouth, Brooklyn," he warned. "I was just with Harry and he's looking for you. It'd be wise to find him before he finds you."

"Tell him to piss off," Brooklyn shrugged and looked back at Indianna just as Ace and Kal approached them, followed by a boy with blond hair that was pushed back, a few strands falling forward, grazing his high cheekbones. His eyes

"Speak of the devil," Greyson murmured, giving Brooklyn a knowing look. He turned and greeted the blond guy who was staring at Brooklyn who was trying her hardest to avoid eye contact.

"Indianna, shall I show you to the library?" Brooklyn suggested and stepped to the side but the blond boy was in front of her immediately, tutting and shaking his head. He placed his hands on Brooklyn's hips and gently pushed her back onto the lockers. "Harry, I-"

"You've been avoiding me," he whispered and narrowed his eyes. "You know I don't appreciate you ignoring me, babe."

"I totally haven't been ignoring you," Brooklyn said with a sweet smile. "Why on earth would I ignore you, Harry? You're a total delight to be around, aren't you? I can't think why I would want to be away from you. Now, do me a favour, and leave me alone so I can show Indianna to the library."

The blond boy, Harry, turned to look at Indianna, not having noticed her before. "Find your own way to the library," he said, barely sparing her a glance and he turned his attention back to Brooklyn who's mouth dropped.