Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO:

"I'll just call my mom." I said to Cassidy once we had decided to go and work on the assignment at her house.

"Okay, my brother will be here to pick us up in like five minutes." She explained.

I pulled out my cellphone and typed in mom's number. That was when I realised that I barely ever called my mother. Everything that needed to be said was said in the mornings before school, and at night before bed. Mom and I barely spoke.

"McKenzie?" She picked up  just as I was about to hang up.

"Mom, I'm going to a friends house. Is that alright?" I asked.

"Yes, of course! You finally made a friend, honey."

"Yeah, well uhm, I have to go now." I said, then hung up shortly after.

"There's my brother." Cassidy said, pointing to a blue car that had just parked a few feet away from us. "Come on." She pulled me along with her as she walked toward the car. The windows were rolled down, and in the drivers seat there sat a boy not much older than us who looked awfully familiar. He had long light brown hair with subtle curls, hazel eyes and stubble. But what caught my eye was the Led Zeppelin shirt that he was wearing.

"Ash, this is my friend McKenzie. McKenzie, this is my brother Ashton." Cassidy introduced us. Ashton stared me down for a couple of seconds. I shifted uncomfortably, while his eyes that resembled Cassidy's trailed down my small and unattractive body. He eventually looked back up at my face, and smiled.

"Hi McKenzie."

"Cool shirt." I said, pointing to the letters that spelt out Led Zeppelin on his shirt. He looked down at himself, as if unsure of what he had dressed himself in that day. He looked back up at me and nodded, his smile unwavering. Cassidy opened the door for us and I got in after her.

"How was the first day, Cass?" Ashton asked as we started driving.

"Pretty cool. Everyone is kinda annoying, except for McKenzie. She's really cool."

"You say the word cool a bit too much." Ashton said to his sister.

"I hope McKenzie is good in English, or we're failing this assignment." She joked.

"Its one of my favourite subjects, actually." I said quietly, suddenly feeling a lot more shy now that it was no longer just Cassidy and I.

"Who the hell likes English?" Cassidy asked rhetorically.

"McKenzie." Ashton answered.

"Are you being sarcastic, or do you actually like English?" Cassidy asked.

"Yeah, I actually like it." I said, tugging on the sleeves of my sweater, covering my small hands. "I write poems and stuff." I added.

"That's pretty cool." Ashton commented, looking at me through the rear view mirror. "I write songs for my band sometimes, which I guess is kind of like poetry."

"You're in a band?" I asked, which I suppose was a bit stupendous of me, since he had just told me that he was in one.

"Yeah, we're not really that big of a deal." He shrugged.

"Are you kidding me?" Cassidy scoffed. "They're a huge deal. They just got back from touring with One Direction. If that's not a big deal, then Johnny Depp isn't attractive."

"My brother is in a band too." I said.

"Really? What band?" Ashton asked. It felt as though we were completely ignoring Cassidy's presence in the car.