Chapter Twenty-One

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

We ended up falling asleep together in some bizarre position. I couldn't be angry at Ashton. It was almost impossible. He continuously tried to make me laugh, succeeding at almost every attempt.

It was morning when I awoke in his embrace. I was only slightly uncomfortable as he held me tightly against his chest, vowing in his sleep to never let me go. I inhaled his scent and smiled to myself. He smelt really good. I fought the urge to run my index finger along his jawline, where stubble was evident.

"Done checking me out?" His groggy voice asked. I smiled, but did not respond, reaching for his large hand instead. I fiddled with his long fingers, his hand like a looming giant compared to my small one. "You have really small hands, Kenzie." He commented.

"No I don't. You just have freakishly large hands." I said, and he laughed, swiftly pulling me on top of him to kiss me on the lips. "This is gross." I commented, scrunching up my nose. "We haven't even brushed our teeth."

"You know you love it."

"Yes, Ashton, I love trading germs with you." I said sarcastically, and he kissed me again. I laughed and wriggled out of his grip, heading straight to the bathroom. I realised that I missed Cassidy a lot more than I had expected, and decided to head over there today.

After a quick shower, I was back in my room, where Ashton had just put in a Black Sabbath record. I ignored him and his complaints about how I was 'such a tease'. I then forced him to turn around and close his eyes while I got dressed, and he mumbled something about being sexually frustrated.

"But I've seen you naked before." He argued after I had caught him peeking once or twice. I only rolled my eyes, refusing to entertain him.

We went downstairs to find my mother rushing to gather her things. She raised a questioning eyebrow at Ashton and I. I turned a deep shade of red after realising that she probably thought that we had had sex, and quickly explained that he had just simply spent the night. She was a lot more understanding than I had thought, considering my boy history.

"We're gonna head over to Ashton's." I explained. She hardly lifted her head, but nodded anyway and sent us away. She was late for work.

"So .." Ashton said once we started walking down the street hand in hand. He didn't have his car with him since he randomly walked to the cliff yesterday. But I wasn't complaining. I liked this. It was nice.

"So .." I mimicked.

"Are you ...are you still mad at me?" He asked. I thought about playing on his feelings and claiming to be furious, but the look on his face made me realise that he really was sorry for what he had done.

"I don't think that we would be holding hands right now if I was still mad at you." I said, and he smiled, pulling me into his side and wrapping an arm around my waist. "But, can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"Was she ...you know ...prettier than me?" I asked shyly. This really was the thing that bothered me the most about the whole situation.

"Are you serious right now?" He asked and stopped walking, making me stop as well. I looked down an my shoes.

"Well, it's kinda been bothering me." I mumbled, and I heard him sigh. Without looking up, I already knew that he was running his fingers through his hair. He then used his strong arm to pull me closer to him, pressing me against his chest and forcing me to look up at him.

"Its going to sound cliché." He started. "But, baby, you're fucking gorgeous. I can't even remember her face, because all that time I was thinking of you. I mean, she wasn't ugly or anything, but she was not nearly as beautiful as you are."