Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

The day was a roller coaster. Once Cassidy had left, I felt good and had no worries. She was like a breath of fresh air. Exactly what the doctor would prescribe after a long and hard day. Her views on life were much more different from my own. But I liked her.

It was time for dinner when I made my way down the stairs. I took my usual seat at the dinner table and was joined by Kellin only moments later. It was only then that I realised how hungry I was. I hadn't eaten anything solid all day, just a banana and ice-cream.

"We're having a guest over for dinner today." Mom informed us. Kellin and I turned to each other with raised eyebrows, trying to decide who should be the one to ask the question that was on both of our minds.

Just as Kellin was about to speak, he was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell, indicating that our guest had arrived. We both turned to the door and waited to see who it was. Mother pulled off her apron and untied her hair. I was surprised to see that she adorned a dress that wasn't very casual, but was not formal either. It was only a simple knee length grey dress. She ran her fingers through her dark hair, and Kellin and I wondered who was behind that door. She finally pulled the door open to reveal a man who looked to be in his mid forties. His hair was already greying, but he had a huge smile on his face. He wore a pair of jeans and a dress shirt with formal shoes. I knew what was going on once mother kissed him and he handed her flowers.

"Mom-" I started, but couldn't finish.

"Kellin, McKenzie. This is Mark. Mark, this is my son, Kellin, and my daughter, McKenzie." Mother introduced us. She didn't need to say it, because I already knew. She was replacing dad.

My stomach dropped and a tight ball was beginning to form in my throat. I didn't know if I was angry, or just upset. It hadn't even been two years since dad died, and she was already replacing him. I took one look at Mark, and nearly screamed. I stood from my seat, grabbed Kellin's car keys and rushed out of the house, leaving mother and daddy replacement behind.

I got into Kellin's car, surprised that he hadn't come after me. I took a second to collect my thoughts, and then started the car. I didn't even need to think, because I knew exactly where I was going. I just drove to where I needed to be.

* * *

Ashton's POV

I was startled by the sudden noise coming from my cellphone. It was almost 2AM, and I couldn't understand who would be calling me at this time. I reached for my phone and checked caller ID. It was McKenzie. I contemplated on whether or not I should answer her call, and had decided not to pick up. But then I thought, what if she needs me? She wouldn't just call in the middle of the night to have a pointless chitchat.

"Hello?" I answered, my voice groggy from sleep.

"Ashton?" It wasn't McKenzie. I frowned and checked caller ID once again. It was clearly written Kenzie♥.

"Who is this?" I asked. What if something had happened to her?

"It's Kellin." The stranger said, and I wondered why I was talking to my girlfriends brother at 2AM. "Is Kenzie with you?" He asked, and my heart almost stopped. What the hell?

"No .." I said slowly.

"Shit." He cursed.

"What happened?" I asked, already getting out of bed.

"She left the house earlier, and hasn't come back since. She's been gone for hours." He explained. I could hear the panic in his voice. I tried to think of where she could possibly be.

"Maybe she's with Cassidy. I'll check her room." I said, already walking across the hall to Cassidy's room. I opened the door, trying not to make too much noise and checked if she was in there. I could see only one body. McKenzie wasn't in here.

"Is she there?" He asked.

"No." I replied. I was trying to think of where else she could have gone. I quickly put on a shirt and grabbed my keys, heading to my car. "I'm getting into my car right now. Have you checked anywhere else?"

"No. She took my car." He informed, and I could feel the panic rising inside of me.

"What if-" I started, but was cut off by a very angry Kellin.

"Don't even start with that shit. You have to find her!"

"I will. I will." I promised. "Do you know where I could look?"

"I don't fucking know!" He snapped. "I was hoping, against my better judgement, that she would be with you." He was angry, and I could understand why, but we needed to work as a team in order to find McKenzie. I did what I knew was best and hung up on him. I didn't need to get anymore worked up about this and he was starting to piss me off.

I drove to the cliff that she had run to the first time Cassidy and I had come over. I parked my car somewhere and ran to see if she was there. I was hoping to find her sitting there, but sadly, she wasn't. I pushed the thought that she might have jumped right to the back of my head. She would never do something so stupid. I yelled her name, hoping that she was maybe hiding somewhere. There was no reply.

Once I was back in my car, I tried to think of more places to go. My phone rang again, and I chose to ignore Kellin as I drove to the park that we had gone to on our first date. It was deserted. There wasn't so much as a ghost walking around that park. I got out of my car anyway just to make sure. I called her name, but there was still no reply.

I drove around for an hour, searching for her. I even drove back to my house in hopes that she had showed up there while I was gone. Still nothing. My phone rang again, and I picked up in hopes that Kellin would tell me that she had gone home. Instead, he told me about a graveyard. I couldn't understand what he meant, until he explained that she went to visit her fathers grave when she was upset. He told me the grave number, and I immediately made my way to the cemetery.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Author's Note

Hii ...

I don't really have anything to say. I'm just going to bother you a bit and ask that if you have thumbs to please vote. Ashton will love you forever if you do. He needs all the love right now, because his girlfriend has gone missing apparently.

Just two or three votes? And then I will put up the next chapter. I'm just hoping for two votes. For Ashton? Please?

xxx McRee Black