Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

McKenzie's POV

Maybe it's just me, but have you ever looked in the mirror and wondered who the hell was starring right back at you? I felt almost ageless. Like time was frozen and I didn't really exist. It was almost a relief to feel like I didn't exist. Like pain wasn't real. But I knew it was as I kept replaying what happened between my mother, Kellin and I when I walked through the front door.

"Where have you been? I was so fucking worried!" Kellin yelled at the same time as mother, "Are you okay? We were worried sick!"

"I'm fine." I muttered, trying to walk right past them and up the stairs to my room. But Kellin wouldn't allow that. He stepped in front of me and demanded answers.

"Why would you run off like that?" He questioned.

"Do you even realise the amount of danger that you put yourself in out there?" Mother added.

"It's 4 fucking AM! What were you thinking!?" Kellin yelled.

"We thought that you were dead!  We had police searching for you, and Kellin even called Ashton!"

"I'm here now. I'm not dead. Ashton found me. Now can I please just go to bed?" I asked.

"We want to know what happened." Mother demanded.

"Okay, so now you're on the same team?" I asked, pointing to them both.

"We care about you McKenzie." Mother said.

"Do you really, mom?" I questioned. "Because if you cared you wouldn't have brought that ...that man here." I couldn't find the words. "You're replacing dad."

"Honey," mother sighed, putting a hand on my shoulder, but I only shrugged it off. "I know you're still upset a-"

"No, you don't know!" I wanted to scream, and the tight ball was back in my throat. "If you knew, you wouldn't have brought him here. You wouldn't be trying to replace dad."

"I am not trying to replace him." She sighed.

"You are! You are, and I hate you for it! I hate you!" I screamed at my mother, tears rushing down my face, my cold hands balled into small fists at my sides. I pushed passed them both and ran up the stairs.

"McKenzie!" I heard Kellin call, followed by the sound of his footsteps following me up the stairs and to my room. I reached my door and kicked it open, almost sending it flying off the hinges. "Kenzie!"

"What do you want, Kellin?"

"Stop. You are making a big deal out of nothing. Just relax."

"A big deal out of nothing? Are you hearing yourself?"  I growled. I feared myself when I was angry, because I knew that I couldn't control it if it got too intense.

"I need you to calm down, and then we can talk about what's bothering you." He said calmly. Too calmly. I wanted to scream. I wanted to rip his throat out. I wanted nothing. My knees gave in and I dropped to the floor and had a complete meltdown. Again. Kellin took a cautious step toward me, worried that I might chew his head off if he made any sudden movements. But I was too overwhelmed by emotion to even make sense of anything. "Kenzie? "

"He's only been gone for a year and ten months. Not even two years." I cried. He crouched down in front of me and put a hand on my shoulder. "I should hate him, but I don't. I can't. I never will."

"Dad was a sorry excuse for a man." Kellin said bitterly.

"How could you say that?" I asked, looking up at him starring into space with his hand still on my shoulder. "How dare you?"

"You're not stupid, McKenzie. You saw what went on in that house." He said, pausing before he continued. "And I know what he did to you." He added, and my blood ran cold.

"Shut up."

"I know what he did." He repeated.

"He didn't do anything."

"Yes, he did and you don't have to lie for him anymore."

"He didn't do anything." I repeated.

"He broke you, McKenzie. Not Jace. Dad."

"You don't know what you're talking about." I said, my voice wavering as the tears started falling from my eyes again.

"I saw it! And I heard him telling you not to tell anyone!"

"You don't know anything." I spat.

"I know that it was a Friday afternoon." He started. "And mom wasn't home from work yet, and I had just gotten home fron school."

"Shut up." I pleaded. I knew what happened that day, but I didn't want to hear it. It could have been worse, but he didn't do it. And he didn't try it ever again after that day, because he loved me. I didn't tell anyone about it either, because I loved him. It was our secret.

"You went into the bathroom-"

"Shut up, Kellin."

"and I watched as he went in after you, shutting the door and locking it."

"Stop it." I cried.

"I heard you ask him what he was doing, and he told you to 'just relax, baby girl'."

"Kellin.." I whispered, pleading with my eyes for him to stop talking about it.

"I held you while you cried yourself to sleep that night, telling me over and over again that daddy loved you." He said, his voice hoarse. A tear fell from his eye, and we were both silent while I sobbed. He pulled me into one of his comforting brotherly hugs, and he ran his hands up and down my back while we both sat on the floor of my bedroom, crying. "I had to do it, Kenzie. I needed to protect both you and mom from that monster." I heard him say before I dozed off.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Author's Note

Hey

A bit of a sad chapter there. I almost cried when I wrote this.

And what the hell did Kellin do???

Anyway, I hope you liked this. I literally just wrote this in an hour. Been a long day in school, and I am tired.

Vote if you empathise with McKenzie.
Vote if you love your fingers.

Lots of love.

xxx McRee Black