Chapter Thirty-Two

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO:

"Woah, Kenzie, what do you mean? I don't really know Kellin, but he doesn't seem like the type to do something like that." Ashton said.

"He basically admitted it, Ashton. I know what I'm talking about."

"But I thought you said that your dad committed suicide?" He questioned. He was confused, and rightfully so.

"Yeah, but something just doesn't add up." I mumbled, thinking to myself. I had never said the words out loud, and now here I was discussing the issue with Ashton. "I know he did it."

"Please just explain?"

"The other night, about three months ago, I couldn't sleep and I heard Kellin crying in his room. When I walked in to see if he was okay, he kept saying that he was a murderer. He was repeating the words like a mantra." I said, and Ashton was silent, so I went on. "And the night you found me at the cemetery after I ran off, there was a bit of an episode when I got home. Kellin confessed to knowing what had happened with my father and then said something that left me feeling a bit uneasy. He said that he had to do it for mom and I. I didn't know what he meant by it then, but now it just makes sense."

The silence was beginning to eat away at my brain. Why wasn't he saying anything? I knew that what I had said made perfect sense. It wasn't all in my head. I didn't want to believe that my brother was the person responsible for my father's death. I didn't want to believe that Kellin was capable of murder.

"I guess it makes sense." Ashton finally said. "But, at the same time, it makes no sense at all. His death was ruled as a suicide. How could it have been murder?"

"They hardly ever investigate suicides, unless the family suspects foul play." I said.

"Makes sense." He mumbled. "How did he cover his tracks, then?"

"I wouldn't know. I've never killed anyone." I murmured, rolling my eyes, lifting my head from his shoulder and sitting up.

"So," he started, "what are you going to do?"

"Confront him, I suppose." I shrugged.

"You're not going to go to the authorities?" He asked, and I felt my blood boil. Was he suggesting that I get my brother arrested?

"I will do no such." I snapped. "He is my brother, and I love him."

"But he murdered someone, McKenzie." He pointed out.

"He did it to protect mom and I." I said, defending my brother's actions.

"So you're just gonna let him get away with it?" He asked. I couldn't believe Ashton. I thought that he would understand where I was coming from, considering the fact that he knew the kind of relationship that Kellin and I had.

"What the hell, Ashton?" I snapped. "Are you seriously suggesting that I turn my brother in?"

"It's the right thing to do."

"He's my brother!"

"That doesn't mean that he can go around killing people!"

"You're unbelievable." I scoffed. The sound of the front door being slammed shut was heard, followed by the sound of heavy footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Kenzie?" I heard Kellin's voice call. I hardly noticed him enter my room, as I was too busy glaring at Ashton from across the room. "What the hell is he doing here?"

"He was just leaving." I hissed.

"Seriously? We were best friends literally two seconds ago, and now that I've said something that you don't like, the tables have turned?"

"You need to leave." Said Kellin.

"McKenzie and I weren't finished."

"I don't give a flying fuck! You're leaving. Now!"

"You don't get to tell me what to do!" Ashton snapped.

"I kinda do, because this is my house, and I don't have to pretend to like that you've been fucking my sister."

"Kellin!" I called.

"I'm not here for you." Ashton said. I watched the two men glare daggers at each other while I tried to calculate what the next move would be.

"Leave." Kellin hissed after a while. I could tell that he was struggling to keep his anger at bay.

"Just because you think that you can control Kenzie, doesn't mean that you can control me."

"Where the fuck do you get that?" I questioned. "Nobody controls me."

"Then why do you refuse to do what you know is right?" Ashton asked. I was slightly taken a back by his question, because I didn't think that he would continue to talk about Kellin while he was standing right there.

"What are you on about?" Kellin questioned. He always hated not knowing what was going on. But, nothing could have ever prepared me for the words that fell from Ashton's lips.

"You killed your father." He said pointedly. Kellin visibly went pale, and my eyes widened in shock at how blunt Ashton was.

For a painful couple of seconds, the room was plunged in an excruciatingly uncomfortable silence. I kept my eyes on my brother, subconsciously waiting for him to deny Ashton's accusation. But, he instead stood there, looking like a deer in headlights.

"So, it's true." I breathed, slowly sitting on my bed. "You killed dad."

"Kenzie," he started, kneeling in front of me and reaching for my hand, "you know what the situation was. I felt like a piece of shit just sitting there and watching that man treat us like we were bad pieces of baloney."

"That man was our father." I whispered, farrowing my brows while I fought the tears and looked my brother in the eyes and felt as though I was staring at a stranger.

"Kenzie, he hurt us all. Something had to be done." He said softly. I looked away from him and saw Ashton staring at us from across the room, his expression unreadable. "McKenzie, look at me."

I felt a warm tear roll down my cheek, and I pulled my hand from Kellin's. My heart was beginning to race and palms were beginning to sweat. The room was getting hotter and my head was starting to spin. My breathing was irate and my heart was now beating uncontrollably. The room seemed to be getting smaller, and breathing was becoming a battle.

"McKenzie?" I heard Ashton say cautiously, before I bolted out the door. I could hear and feel that I was being followed down the stairs. My name was being called repeatedly, but I couldn't hear a thing. I could barely see through the tears that were blurring my vision.

"McKenzie!" Someone screamed, but the voice sounded so far away. I reached for the handle and pulled the front door open, sprinting out into the frigid night air.

"No!" I heard him scream. The sound of screeching tires was heard, and I was suddenly in grave pain.

Then everything faded into darkness.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Author's Note

Holy shit! What even just happened??

One more chapter left! Please vote my lovelies..

xxx McRee Black