Prologue

"The time has come, Sire." A deep voice broke through the darkness. A shimmer of firey gold slid to the other side of the room, appearing out of the shadows, amber eyes first. The creature's mane floated around them like it was suspended in midair, its fur adorned with the shimmers of the stars. It pawed at the ground beneath the Great One's feet. A hand reached out to pet the tamed beast as it leaned its head into the Great One's palm as they stroked its fur.

"Yes. It may be so.""Shall I tell the others?" "Yes, gather them here now." The creature nodded, its mane floating around its ears. It bowed at the Great One's feet, a shimmering symbol on the creature's back becoming visible. "As you wish, my Sire." The creature let out an elegant roar, its pearl-white teeth noticeable as it tilted its head back. There was only a pause before other creatures flooded the room. The symbols that they wore illuminated the room. Soon, all the animals were lined up, awaiting the Great One's response. "Has the time come? May we return home?" "Yes. Tonight, all of you will return to Earth. But I must warn you," The Great One leaned in, slivery-black hair cascading over their shoulders and falling in front of their eyes. "It is not the same." The creatures nodded, understanding the Great One's words. "We will take whatever burden there is to return to our homes." A large, winged creature replied, twitching its tail. "There is not much time. We must return now." The Great One nodded at the golden creature, a form of silent agreement. From under their robes, the Great One retrieved twelve stones, delicately carved despite their small size. They opened their palm and allowed the stones to float a little above their palm. The creatures stood in their respective places and watched along with the Great One as their stones floated to the intended bearer. The carved tiles began to light up as the creatures' stones fell in front of them. "Farewell, Twelve. And good luck." The Great One replied, a thirteenth creature slithering around the Great One's neck. The two watched as the other creatures disappeared in a flash of multicolored stardust. The Great One smiled, knowing their turn to disappear was next. This time, for good. The remaining creature watched as the Great One faded into the stars. "Farewell, Great One."

A/N-Hey y'all! So, this is what I've been working on for the past week! I have a few more chapters to post, but I want to finish some things up before I post those. Anyway, welcome to Grasp the Stars-my first dystopian future story mixed over with...zodiac signs??

I thought up the plot a while back and rewrote it so it sounded better and this is what I ended up with. Obviously, this isn't fanfiction, it's just (to me) a fun way of incorporating fantasy into sci-fi. 

On that note, I'll see y'all in the next chapter! 

--Laura S.