Chapter Sixteen

(Third-Person POV)

Salt Lake City, USA

2019.

The six kids stood awkwardly in the doorway to Lisa Brown's apartment as she escorted them inside. As soon as they'd mentioned they were from the future, she'd moved aside to let them in. Since then, they'd already gotten asked more questions than they could answer. She'd ushered them over to a couch, telling them to sit down, though some still had to stand. Before they were able to say a thing, Lisa Brown continued to ask them questions, barely taking a breath in between her words. The group simply waited until Lisa finally tired of asking questions. Finally, Penny spoke.

"We need your help." She said, nodding to the others in the small apartment. Before entering the apartment, Penny had memorized the destination of which they had to go next, of which was somewhere in New York. Lisa nodded, seeming to indicate for her to continue.

"We need to get to New York, is there an...airport? Is there one of those near this place?" Lisa Brown looked a bit surprised at the request.

"What in the world are you doing here then?"

"We-we don't know," Penny chose her words cautiously. "Our government forced us to come here." A touch of sympathy shone in the young woman's eyes. Nobody needs to plead for anything, even if that's true, Thought Leo, watching as Penny waited for a response.

"The airport is a little far to walk," She responded. "If that's what you're thinking."

"Oh, well, we just needed to know where the airport was." She's gonna offer us some other shit. Was that their plan? Send us to people who will probably go bankrupt because of us? Leo mentally cringed at the stupidity of the future's government.

"We're fine with that, as long as there's one around here."

Lisa Brown smiled. "There's a bus that you can take to the airport. You don't need to walk." She pulled out one of those weird squares and tapped the screen repeatedly.

"There's not another flight out to New York until tomorrow. You kids are welcome to stay here if you'd like." Some of the members responded with a no, we can find a place to sleep while others just shook their heads. "No, no, I insist. It's fine." She smiled. Ms. Brown had then asked us if there was anything we wanted to eat or drink, and after she'd left, Penny faced the rest of the group. "People in the past will believe anything, won't they?" Jem laughed. "Probably. But, hey, at least we won't have to beg anyone to let them in after curfew."

"Jem, I don't think that they have that here." Leo joked though he wasn't sure himself.

"I wonder whatever happened to those other kids who we left behind," Mark exclaimed randomly.

"Probably doing better than us," Penny said. "Somehow."

A/N-LMAO I'm sorry for not updating in a month! *Genuinely feels bad* ScHoOl Is VeRy TiMe OcCuPyInG

Anyway, now that soccer is finally over, I'm going to try and update more in the next few weeks (keyword: try).

I joined a bunch of clubs for the winter, though, so depending on how things turn out, I may or may not update on a regular schedule. I'm trying my best here, though! 

Expect the next chapter to be out within the next 1-2 weeks since I finally got over that very excruciating writers' block. Could not think of how to finish this chapter at all. 

Anyway, have a great day/night!

--Laura S.