Chapter Two

--Ottawa, Canada 
--Jem

--2080. 

I plopped down at an empty desk, setting my stuff on the floor beside it. My friend tapped me on the shoulder. "Hey, Jem." She mumbled, an unusual nervousness coursing through the classroom like the 'Plague.' "Hi, Ari," I responded, giving her a half-smile.

"Did you hear about the military?" She questioned. I answered her with a quizzical look. "What do you...." I trailed off when I saw her eyes go wide. 

"Look!" She whispered, raising a finger. I turned, my heart stopping for a second. A military official stood at the front of the classroom, a single half-sheet of paper in his hand. The bell rang, sending a mechanical sound through the room. The military official, an average-height man with black hair and a cold stare, scanned the room before glancing at the paper and back up at us again."My name is General O'Neill. I'm here on behalf of the military, regarding one of the students in your class. They are required for a very important matter. Just to advise this chosen student, you are not the only one." He paused, scanning the room for a second time, almost watching to see if anyone shrank back into their seats. "Now," I held my breath, hoping that my name wouldn't get called. I didn't want to die soon and everyone knew what happened to poor old Timmy Johnson after he got called. "Will Jem Anderson please step forward?" My heart stopped. All heads swiveled towards me, most people looking panicked while others gave me a sympathetic look as I stood up. My legs shook as I grabbed my bag and weaved through the rows of desks to reach the front of the room. I turned around and met eyes with Ari. She looked mortified. But all I could muster was a weak smile to tell her I would be fine. Though, I would probably end up like Timmy Johnson. Heavy droplets of rain began to pelt the windows and bounce off the roof. Thunder boomed in the distance. This has got to be a dream. It's all too...unrealistic. There's no way that this could happen! I had no idea how I managed to look calm on the outside while General O'Neill gave the startled teacher a quick nod and motioned for me to follow him out of the classroom. I gulped, gripping at the fabric of my bookbag and following him down the hall. I hoped, so desperately that I would wake up to the sound of my brother running around the flat. But, I didn't. The nightmare never stopped. 

A/N-Hey! I know I said that countries are gone, but for places that aren't in the U.S, they'll be labeled by the country that the area used to be, along with the city/capital that there is depending on where the character lives. So, technically, in the story, they would call it Canada, North Country or just North Country. 

Anyway, have a nice day/night!

--Laura S.