SHATTER | 27

"Don't even think about touching that door, Morris," How did he even freaking know? I had barely even registered the fact that my feet had been creeping towards the door, my toes digging into the sticky carpet as I forced myself to stop moving

The door was soft, old wood. Despite it being locked I could probably knock it down off the hinges or even split it down the middle if I tried hard enough, and even if that didn't work I'm sure someone would complain about the noise.

"Tell me, how exactly do you think it would go for you? That I would just let you casually walk out of here, no shoes, no weapons, not a penny to your name, and not a clue where you are? You aren't stupid, Amira," I spun around, my cheeks burning as my attention snapped to him.

"You don't know me," He didn't. Maybe he knew the old me, but she was dead.

"Don't I though? I made you who you are–"

"You ruined me!" Alba was barely listening to our conversation, heavily invested in whatever cartoon movie the big box T.V. was playing, I aspired to be on her level of reality separation, though her muscles did tense as our voices grew louder.

"I ruined you?" His laugh was bitter, the way his jaw clenched being the only real evidence of how much that got underneath his skin. "The only people responsible for what's happened to you are Cara, and that mutt who played on your vulnerability. I have done nothing to hurt you, not without reason," his words were low and I quickly shook my head, roughly pushing my hair back from my face with trembling fingers.

Everything was so cold, and my body felt like fire in comparison. Like the feeling when you touch ice after an eternity in the sun.

"You shouldn't have done anything to hurt me. You can't even tell me the truth Eon, the only information that you have even given me is twisted, messed-up lies. Sometimes it's– I think that you are trying to convince yourself of something that isn't true," I was breathless, and still apparently not in the shape to be arguing because my head pounded painfully when I sucked in a breath.

The back of my legs hit the second bed in the room and I sunk into it, sighing when Eon crouched down in front of me.

"Don't tell me that you don't see what being away from me has done to you. You flinch every time I touch you–"

"Eon," I cut him off, meeting his eyes for the first time and truly looking. For once they weren't empty slates. They were deep, melancholy, a molten pool of what I could only describe as real and genuine pain.

He was delusional. But the words stopped before I could speak them, so all I could do was stare at him, wishing they were honey and that the space between us was lit up with comfort and not pain.

"You think I'm the only one who has lied to you, Amira? I'm not. But least I had reasons beyond selfish ones," his hands caught mine as I pushed against his chest.