UNITED | 28

If it hasn't been said that when you experience something insane it is all merely just in preparation for what will come next, it should certainly be noted that I think that that is not the truth

I feel all but prepared for the next phase of my life. 

Maybe, moving past the idea that everything happens for a reason; I, in fact, haven't been being prepared for anything. I've just pissed off whoever lies above, and that is why I am lying here in this damned bed yet again.

Doc loomed over me like Frankenstein and I absolutely felt like a reanimated corpse. 

For a split second when I opened my eyes, they were blinded by the light, and every single inch of my body felt like it had been rubbed raw. Like all of me was new cells, new life.

"It's been three days," Doc shrugged sheepishly when I raised an eyebrow at his stoic expression. "Okay, fine. It's been a day and a half. What can I say, I'm nostalgic," Right. The last time I had woken up from the verge of death I had been out for three days. 

With a puff of breath, I ignored my queasy feelings and his half-hearted warnings to not sit up and not to pull the IV out. 

Déjà vu.

"You really do not listen. Every time I tell you to not sit up, to not pull the IV out, what do you go and do?"

"What can I say, I'm nostalgic," He frowned and scribbled more on the clipboard he had set beside the bed.

"Hopefully not overly so," He peaked up at me. "Do you remember everything? Minus the, you know, existing gaps?" I blinked my eyes to combat the all-consuming dizziness. "What I mean is, you remember why you're here, right?"

"Yes, I remember–" My head snapped up the second Axle appeared in the doorway. There were deep, dark bags settled right underneath grief-stricken eyes that softened the instant they met mine. Just like that, the worry lines on his face diminished and the overbearing smell of sick was drowned out by him. "I remember everything."

When I woke the first time, all I was was numb. Understandably I was more than a little bit scared, partially because I couldn't possibly fathom why I was so calm being here. It was the bond, which was why I was calm then, which was why I was calm now. The bond that no one told me about before, but that Eon was trying to break.

Sometimes you never know the why's, but going with what you think feels natural is what will keep you alive. And even more than just surviving, it will really let you live and feel and thrive. It lets you soak in the feelings of happiness and not just long for the feeling of something that felt like a dream for so long.

I hadn't known it then, but Axle had been that dream for me long before I ever even knew him. As cliche and cringe-worthy as it sounds, it was always him.