PURPLE | 4

Emotions swirled rampant in my head

Emotions swirled rampant in my head. Fear, comfort, and exhaustion, all blended together in a giant, confusing cluster-fuck that wasn't doing anything but giving me grief.

At least it was something. From where I was standing that was far more than the nothing I had before I went to sleep.

Maybe it was a dream. Maybe it was a memory.

More than that, it was something important, so by default, Eon must be important. Cara too. A sister.

Axle and Doc had mentioned something about a girl, a sister maybe. Had I just dreamed her up in response to their theories?

Was Eon one of the ones who believed me to be dead? More importantly, did he know that I wasn't?

"You look like you've seen a ghost." I had felt Axle's presence as soon as he leaned against the doorway.

It was weird, obviously. I didn't know this man who was borderline keeping me captive in this room, but I didn't feel unsafe. In fact, I felt downright sheltered here. The worry flashing across his face was enough for me to understand that I wasn't truly in any immediate physical danger here.

"A memory I think."

"That's what ghosts are, at least that's what I believe they are. The stronger they are, the stronger they make you feel, the scarier they can be." He traced the door frame as he spoke.

I shrugged and pulled myself to lean back up against the headboard, doing my best not to wince as my muscles moaned at the movement.

"Want to tell me about it?" His honey eyes were nothing if not compassionate and I felt like I downright had no choice but to spill despite not knowing if I should. Axle stepped further into the room and settled on the edge of the bed after he set a chilled glass of water on the table beside me.

"My... a girl, she left me alone, and then I was drowning. Being drowned and someone saved me. His name was Eon – he promised to protect me if I trusted him, and I just... I felt so alone, and so scared. I must've been thirteen, maybe younger. It might not be a memory, they could just be dreams." I looked down at my hands, tracing the crisscrossing lines. "Do you know how old I am now?

"Twenty-one." He offered with a small smile, but it was tight, his entire face scrunched up as if something I had said disturbed him. It made my insides twist. "Did anything else happen? Anything else about, this... this Eon guy?"

I shook my head, I really wish there was. I was trying to make myself remember, but there was nothing else. Axle sighed and nodded his head at the water.

"You should drink it, Doc is going to be bringing some food up soon, and if all is well, this will be your last day of bed rest. No strenuous workouts. You don't exactly seem like a strenuous workout kind of person though," He joked and I paused my drinking to glare over the glass.