ALBA | 25

I wanted the ground to swallow me up, to just cave in and consume me in a fury of sound, dust, and dirt

 I wanted the ground to swallow me up, to just cave in and consume me in a fury of sound, dust, and dirt. Ropes dug into the sensitive skin of my wrists, binding them to my ankles and effectively immobilizing me as Eon drove further and further away from the only place I had ever felt even slightly at home at.

When Leaflet zapped me from my room, I had at least felt reassured by the fact that she promised to take me back as soon as she got what she wanted–to be clear, I still didn't quite know what she wanted other than to make me remember things and to talk conspiracy. With Eon though, it was obvious that he had no desire to take me back.

"How did you take it off," I looked up from the red skin of my wrists.

"What?" My throat was raw, painfully scratched, and with every movement, my brain pounded unceasingly against my skull.

"The necklace," I shook my head, that could not possibly be what he wanted to talk about right now. It had been months, I betrayed him, and what he wanted to talk about was how I got the necklace off? Well, the necklace was also tied in with the Thrall, but I still didn't know why it was relevant at this very moment. When I didn't answer his eyes darted from the road to burn into the side of my head.

"Answer me, Morris," My eyes fluttered shut once my head fell back against the headrest. Everything hurt about as much as it had when I woke up that night I arrived in Woling. One positive was that I wasn't shot, though my hand did itch to check just so I could be sure.

I knew now that I had been running from Eon way back then, and now here I was, being hauled back to his side. 

All of that work for naught.

"I just– I took it off," He scoffed, fingers curling tighter around the wheel as the speedometer needle ticked up. I wonder, would I be the only one to die if there was a car crash? Somehow that made me think of Axle, the idea of dying and leaving him alone made my heart ache worse than my head did up until Eon spoke again.

"Figures," I twisted towards him as much as the binds would allow.

Eon always looked so put together, but now his eyes were darting around the night, muscles ready to pounce with deep bags the color of bruises under his eyes. He looked rough.

"What does?"

"All the work I put in, just for it to be fucked up because you didn't want to wear the necklace anymore."

"That isn't why I took it off–"

"It shouldn't be possible," He snapped back, teeth gnashing together as he dragged his attention back to the road. "Why is it when things go wrong, things that I thought were so foolproof, you are at the center."

I couldn't see anything out the window, but I stared anyway. The comment was meant to sting, and it did, my eyes blinking fast to try and hide the tears.