INHUMAN | 10

"Happy birthday, Morris," My entire body ached from the training session yesterday, the deep sleep last night did little to give me rest but it did make my eyes heavy and dull despite the inward excitement I felt during the day

"Happy birthday, Morris," My entire body ached from the training session yesterday, the deep sleep last night did little to give me rest but it did make my eyes heavy and dull despite the inward excitement I felt during the day. Eon said that running on less sleep made for better training, but I didn't really understand how that worked. I didn't want to train when I was tired, I wanted to sleep.

Eon lightly dropped a small cardboard box into my hands and when I looked up to him all he did was nod towards it with his trademark vacant look. 

Slowly, I pulled the top off of the little brown box, my breath catching as I gently pinched the delicate silver chain between my thumb and pointer finger. It caught the light from every angle and glistened lightly between my fingertips. The cool feeling from the metal sent soothing chills across the surface of my skin. It was beautiful, pure, and without a doubt the nicest thing I had ever owned. It even rivaled what I remembered my mom's necklace to look like.

"It's beautiful," I whispered, unable to take my eyes away from it. Oddly, it felt like there was a buzz emanating from it, a sort of energy, but that must've been my imagination. There's no way a dainty little necklace like this could have power.

"Let me put it on you," Eon wasn't a gentle person, never had been and the times where he was it sent slivers of heat through me. He settled himself behind me on the small cot, and brushed the hair away from my neck as he draped the cool metal chain across my collar bones, a small charm shaped like a star hung loose in the middle, settling against the hollow of my neck. 

soft click resonated, it felt awfully final, and there was a peculiar unnatural feeling that rushed into me with the buzz of the necklace. It felt permanent, more permanent than a necklace should be–

His lips brushed the side of my neck, peppering feather-soft kisses up to the shell of my ear. My toes curled and a barely audible breath of air escaped from my parted lips as my eyes shut on their own accord.

He was hardly ever gentle, I loved when he was gentle.

"Don't take it off," He murmured and the way his voice echoed around my head made it seem like he was the only thing that existed in my world. Just me, and him, and the feeling of butterfly kisses against my skin.

"No matter what, don't take it off."

"I won't," was all I managed to whisper in response.

—————

Eon's hand curled loosely around my throat. Glowing red eyes peered down at me with sick curiosity. My life was dangling in his fingers like it was a toy for a child, a completely and totally reckless child, but there wasn't anything I could do about that. His fingers squeezed, taunting me, while his other hand was lightly stroking my jaw, catching stray tears with his thumbs.