Chapter 37

As I left the office, a man caught my eye. He wasn't from here... But maybe he could be. He was off putting, but he really wasn't. He was just putting his things in a bag. I left quickly and stayed at my little home for a while. I was taking a break from training and the stress of everything. Kai wanted my help on a business module. The weekend parties were much more than just a bunch of us screwing around. It was also about finding connections and Kai offered to hire me.

I let down my bags and stripped out of my work attire and into a thin night shirt. It was still chilly out, so though I was hot from moving, if I simply stood still I could feel the very slight rainy breeze through the window. Rinako sat in my chair, unfazed by everything. She just read her Wicca book and vibed with some Lo-fi for ghosts and witches. She came to stay by me in the late evenings. I wasn't mad at it, because her company was appreciated. She put a sticky note where her page was and put the book down. Sometimes she didn't talk, but she allowed me to read her face. " Um... nothing. I'm okay." I sat on my bed and lie down for a little while. She got up and looked down at me " You did well so we can push your training back for the next month. Practice, but I mostly want to see you resting." An almost deafening boom cracked through the sky. The weather sucked sometimes. Rinako kept meeting my eyes and it was making me slightly uncomfortable.  She stepped out and closed the door. She'd stay in the front area of my home to give me some space.  I grabbed my thick comforter and pulled it up. I needed a quick nap.

.
.
.

It was him. The man who was off-putting to me earlier. There were wounds on his partially naked body that looked deeper than I knew how to heal. He had a long and deep cut that was oozing down his abs from his stomach downwards. He was shackled up, almost like an animal. The dark rusty silver cuffs at his hands left deep impressions in his skin. This dream felt scarily real. Blood seeped out of his ears and mouth yet his eyes slowly met my own. The holding cell was huge and mostly blackened and I noticed the shakles and chains sort of had him chained to the wall in the back. I slowly walked toward him and bent to his level, looking at the types of shackles he wore. A key was needed. I looked around us, to no avail. I patted my pockets and slipped my fingers in. With a tiny click everytime, I unlocked everything keeping him chained. There was a door that hadn't been there before. Taking his hand quickly I rushed us out of there. We ran up the stairs and we both hissed at the light. I felt a migraine setting in. Saving him was my goal. I unlocked the dungeon that was held by a gate and broke us out. This may have been hard but I needed to get him to safety. I broke into a nearby car, shattering the glass and opening the front. My hand was bloody, but I was good. I got the back door for him and we drove off. I drove one the scorching highway but the light kept burning my eyes-

I gasped, waking up. His hand was around my throat tightly and he wasn't happy. The same amber eyes and dark hair that almost confused me. He had me pinned to my bed and  growling ferally in my ear " Why did you save me, and how did you get that key? Tears filled my eyes as I struggled against him. I was trying not to moan because he was hot, choking me and growling in my ear. He looked angry, but it wasn't anger that was in his eyes. It was his vulnerability. " I don't know!" I whisper shouted," The key was just in my breast pocket, I'm sorry!" I cried, squeezing my eyes shut and trying to pull away from the grip he had on my windpipe. He instantly let go and backed up. I wrapped myself in my blanket and let my tears flow in " Please don't hurt me. " He let go but he stared at me menacingly from across the room.

At first I was so confused, but as he explained, it began to make sense " Fate managed to tie us together as mates. I would've happily burned you in your sleep, or squeezed just a little tighter." I stood and faced him, my teary face scared to even look him in the eye.

Holy CRAP. This man was my mate... But why? He wanted me dead, it was clear. " Go away!" I cried. I got up and tried to leave but his speed clearly wasn't human. He was so close and I was only feeling the dire need to run or take my clothes off entirely. His voice was smooth like honey and deep. He looked hot before but now he was just brooding and scary. " Where are you going, Naehyun?" He knew me by name! I saw him once but how could he have known?

" It's best if you get out before I turn you to ash." My powers were impaired, sure, but If I caught him, he was toast.

My fingertips glowed red as I steadied myself. I didn't want to, but he wasn't the most hospitable. His eyes widened when he saw my fingers and he ran. I secured the window and shut the curtains. 

.
.
.
.
.
.

I couldn't sleep after that. I grabbed my blanket pillow and blanket, throwing it to the floor. I walked out and into the kitchen, getting paper towels to dry out the bathtub. I would sleep there for tonight... My attention averted to my bleeding hand that was shaking. Breathing heavily and erratically, my chest felt like it would explode. There was a light knock at my home door. I knew the knock and opened the door quickly. Rinako was soaked but she came in quickly. She stripped down into her underwear and slipped into on of my shirts. " You were attacked. Tell me everything." I looked at her and I knew I couldn't say some things. Instead, I stalled " How...?"

" You and the rest of our coven are connected to me. No matter the cost I'll run to help." She loomed at me, knowing I saw, that I knew and that I was hiding it from her.

I hated it when she saw me this scared. I remembered being tricked and her always coming to my rescue, no matter the cost to herself. I tried drawing attention away from my hand but instead she looked at it. Her eyes narrowed and looked at me with concern. " You're bleeding and clearly hurt. What just happened?" She pressed.

Whispering, my voice strained and scared, instead of keeping it to myself I cried, wiping tears and blood off of my face " My mate just tried to kill me."