HOME

[ alternatively : not the way that i do love you ]

SHE WOKE THE NEXT MORNING, STILL SAT AT THE SIDE OF THE HOSPITAL BED. Sam sat across from her, tear tracks streaked down his face as he looked to the woman who sat between them. Cata's eyes flashed to the stats machine before back to him. She shuffled in her seat and his eyes flashed to her before back to Emily.

She could only watch as he lifted a hand to her hair, pushing it behind her ear like she always did. "I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't meant it, I just-."

He faltered, and she saw a tear streak down his face. His hand was in hers, and he lifted it to press it to his lips. His eyes clenched closed - like if he shut them for long enough he'd wake up somewhere else. Somewhere where this wasn't happening.

"I would've done the same if it were him."

And he lifted his eyes up to her and it was fine. She understood. How could she not. To hurt Paul like that was her biggest fear. And she was scared of what she would do if she lost him one day.

"He went to go get you a coffee. I- er, brought you some of Emily's clothes for school."

School. Ew.

She changed quickly - more than grateful he had brought her toothbrush, and her hand hovered over his shoulder for a second before she spoke "I'll come back after my shift." Before moving to the cafeteria in hopes of finding Paul.

He was stood in front of the little biscuits they had for sale, a coffee already in his hand as he stared down at the plastic packages. "Hi." She greeted him warmly, taking the coffee he held out for her. One sugar, little bit of milk. Just how she liked it. "Thank you."

He kissed her, his hands coming to the sides of her face. They dropped back to his side as he pulled away. "You okay?"

"Yeah." He raised an eyebrow at her, scanning over her before he looked to her eyes again that were laid with purple bags.  "Don't look at me like that. I'm fine." She cheesed up at him, sticking her tongue out. She needed to joke with him. She needed things to feel normal.

"What I can't look at my girl?" He asked, slinging an arm over her shoulder, their hands interlocking as she sipped her coffee. Her head rest against his shoulder, and she almost felt her eyes droop closed before shaking herself awake.

"Nice coffee, you want a sip?" She asked, passing it to him anyway when he shook his head. He smiled, taking the cup.

"Mmm." He joked as he took a sip and she laughed, her lips wide and beaming as he tasted the dirt water coffee.