CHARLIE SWAN

[ alternatively : loneliness eats you whole ]

PAUL AND CATA HAD RETURNED BACK TO THE SWAN RESIDENCE ONLY TEN MINUTES LATER, Paul awkwardly moving around the outskirts of the  living room while Cata fetched them all drinks, until Charlie rolled his eyes and motioned for the boy to sit on the couch. "You a fan of football?" He asked somewhat lightly, his legs crossing over one another as he peered to the boy who sat in his house, body tense as he sat on the edge of the cushioned seat. 

"Yeah." Paul tried to nod, his eyes moving to the television in front of them.

"Get it from your dad?"

Charlie was good at reading people - twenty or so years as chief of police almost guaranteed that. So when the boy tensed at the mention  of his father, Charlie's eyes furrowed; his lips parting to apologise (for what he wasn't sure), until Cata entered the room with their drinks cradled in her arms.

Catalina's knee nudged against Paul as she sat on the couch, handing him the fanta can while her attention turned back to the screen, a question escaping her lips as she turned to her father who's eyes were already trained on the screen. Paul tried his best to roll his shoulders back, relaxing against the couch that had clearly been sat in the room for many years, the seams frayed with age. "Who are they playing?"

"Dallas Cowboys." Charlie spoke over the hiss of Cata's can as it opened, Paul's following shortly behind. The man cleared his throat, settling further into the armchair he had inherited from his mum after her death. "So, Paul? You at High School?"

"Yeah, on the Res." Paul nodded tightly.

"Same grade as Cat?"

"Yeah, not as smart though." He nodded, his knee knocking against Cata's again. Cata smiled up to him, the can she lifted to her lips covering the pull at her lips. Charlie caught the action, his eye moving back to the screen before the smile could barley ghost over his face.

"Shut up, you're smart." Cata mumbled, her back twisting so she could put her can on the coffee table.

"How is Mariposa? Still working at the hospital?" Charlie asked, his bottle lifting to his lips. Cata felt her heart flutter at how much Charlie was trying. He held #1 spot for most awkward man in America, so she couldn't help but be pleased at his attempt with the boy who she so clearly cared for.

"Yeah, she's good." Paul nodded even though he hadn't seen her since he shifted. Cata's hand tucked behind the pillow his arm leant on to squeeze at the skin just bellow his tattoo. "She actually got a promotion the other week."