DINNER PARTY

[ alternatively : posie ]

"FUCK!" CAME CATA'S CRY AND EMILY WINCED AT THE CRASH THAT FOLLOWED, blearily wandering out onto the porch from where she had been watching television . It was sunny - well, sunny for the Reservation and she almost laughed at the sight of Cata in her summer dress, sat cross legged  on the wooden decking pouting at the sight of the broken plant pot in front of her - the roots having overgrown to the point  of the clay cracking open.  The soil had spilled out and she was doing her best to scoop it back into what was left of the plant pot.

"What happened?" Emily chuckled affectionately at the pout on Cata's face.

"I over egged it." She laughed, embarrassed.  She bad been practising her magic a lot since the events with James, she was strong but not strong enough. And she wouldn't be happy until she was. She'd been getting better at it, she supposed. Maybe a bit too good.

"You never told me - where it came from?" Emily said hesitantly, kneeling down beside Cata to help her clear the soil. She liked being with Cata, she was the only person who looked at her properly any more.

"My magic?" Cata asked, dusting her hands on the pink of her dress, smiling as Emily nodded. "I just... inherited it. My grandma taught me how to control it." She shrugged, shuffling her legs underneath her as she turned to see the tree line facing the house. "It skips a generation - so my kids won't have it." She smiled serenely,  as if it was the best thing she'd ever heard.

"And- and you don't want your kids to have it?" Emily asked, brow furrowed as she tried to understand what Cata was saying.

"It's a lot of responsibility to put on a kid." Cata spoke through a forced smile. "It's hard to be happy with so much power."

"You manage it, though." Emily nudged her shoulder with a kind smile.

"Yeah." Cata nodded, before something lifted and she turned to Emily with a smile. "Yeah. I suppose." The two women were silent for a second before Cata stood at the sight of the boys walking from the tree line, the three of them wearing shorts that Cata had trimmed down from jeans the day before.

"Hey, baby." Paul grinned as he jogged towards her, smiling as she dusted the last of the soil from her dress. Her arms lifted to wrap around his neck, a laugh escaping her lips as he spun in a circle, her head tilting back. Paul set her back on her feet, her bare soles brushing against the wood as she clung to him for a second longer, her face buried into his neck.

"Oh, please." Jared scoffed, brushing past the two couples that were embracing and into the house, grabbing a muffin that Emily had baked and ripping a section off and stuffing it into his mouth before coming back to the door.