GIRL's DAY

[ alternatively : i hate men ]

CATALINA NEEDED A BREAK FROM JARED CAMERON. HE WAS THE ANNOYING OLDER BROTHER she never had; and even Sam Uley was growing tired of the two teenagers near constant bickering. She'd spent every day after school down at the Reservation to help Jared control his phasing and explain the Legends to him - and by Saturday Sam had stormed into his living room demanding the pair have a break from each other when he saw Cata wave her hand - Jared swatting at the air around his head (Sam could only assume she was using the same bee trick she used on him when he got on her nerves a few days back).

"Sir, yes, sir." Cata had saluted him, jumping up from the couch. In truth, Jared was fine. He had never been an angry boy, so phasing wasn't really an issue for him - it was more the near constant loneliness that came with being a new wolf, since they weren't trusted to be around their friends just yet.

Jared was grateful for Cata, no matter how much they bickered they both knew how much the other meant to them.

"Well," Jared had drawled sarcastically. "I'll be here. Waiting. Like always." Watching as the Swan girl turned to the door.

"Don't be a baby, Cameron." She had called over her shoulder with a smile, the slam of the door following her words like an exclamation mark.

It took barely any time for Catalina to convince her friends that today was the day to go to Port Angeles to dress shop, she needed to get out of the small town at least for a day. Nell was the first to agree, even though she wasn't going to her high school prom. (Genie was planning on inviting her as her 'date' to Forks High school, so the 'dream team wasn't split up').

Turns out Jared's transition was just as lonely for her.

"Hey, angel face." Cata grinned as Nell swung the car door open, throwing her bag into the backseat as she took her seat.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages!" Nell beamed, hand reaching to turn the radio down so they could talk to one another.

"Beach, wasn't it?"

"Yeah." The Cameron girl mused, a sly smile spreading over her face. "You and Paul looked pretty close."

"Oh, fuck off." Cata laughed loudly.

"Hey." Nell raised her arms in mock defence. "I'm just saying, you'd be cute together. I don't get why you don't just say fuck it and date."

Because I never get what I want. Catalina felt like screaming.

Because I could fall in love with him. So, so easily. And he could imprint on somebody else.