Part V

Part 5: Clear

You're taking the fun
Out of everything
You're making it clear
When I don't want to think
You're taking me up when
I don't want to go up anymore
I'm just watching it all

"There's No Other Way", Blur

Draco closed the door softly and put the keys into his coat’s pocket. Then, he closed his eyes and waited until he was certain that he had enough self-control to face what was coming next. Draco gave a last look at the door of his flat and finally, trying hard to not think about where he was going and with who, he picked up his bag, turned and slowly went downstairs.

Outside it was raining and the evening was cold and wet.

Draco spotted the silver-grey BMW waiting across the street. He quickly reached it and got into the car.

"You took long." Were the first words that greeted him.

"I wanted to be sure I hadn't left anything," Draco answered cautiously, looking out of the window, suddenly very interested in every little drop of water that hit the glass.

Harry gave him a sideways glance and grinned inwardly, imaging the battle that was taking place inside Draco at that moment.

The rest of the journey was travelled in silence. When they finally arrived, it was raining cats and dogs. Draco got out of the car. While he waited for Harry to come back from the garage, he stepped into the rain. The fair-haired man looked at the building in front of him, and then over it, at the dark sky covered by clouds.

"What are you doing still here? Get in, you're soaked," Harry's voice stated annoyingly behind his shoulders.

Draco looked at the sky one last time before nodding and silently following Harry inside the building, and then inside the lift, until they reached the black-haired wizard's penthouse.

"This is your room," Harry said, opening a door.

Draco left his bag on the floor and followed the other around the flat.

"Here's the kitchen, but usually I eat out," he explained, smiling a little, realizing that he had never used the cooking stove.

Draco was still silent and Harry could notice the tension enveloping his slender body. The fair-haired man looked around uncomfortably, shifting his weight on his legs nervously.

Harry sighed and suddenly asked: "Why did you accept?"

The former Gryffindor saw Draco flinch and open his mouth, searching for an answer.

"I... I didn't have any choice," he murmured finally.

Harry looked at him interrogatively. "Why not?"

Draco shook his head and looked at Harry tiredly.

"How could I have paid you, otherwise?"

"You could have chosen not to pay me at all," Harry suggested, shrugging.

"And then? Having a life-time debt with you?" Draco retorted angrily, raising an eyebrow. "Being your -" he looked away, " - your fucking slave for two months is bad enough, but spending the rest of my life knowing that I have to thank Harry Potter for my freedom is more than unbearable. So, no matter how I look at this, I see only one possible choice. They say the stronger the pain is, the quicker it’ll go away." Draco finished bitterly.