Part XIII

Part 13:   Point of No Return

As you look around this room tonight
Settle in your seat and dim the lights
Do you want my blood, do you want my tears?
What do you want?
What do you want from me?

"What Do You Want From Me", Pink Floyd

Hermione finished her tale at three o'clock in the morning. She had talked softly, but Ron hadn't lost one single word, listening attentively, not daring to move from the doorframe, not tearing his eyes from his friend once.

Now they were both silent, both thinking even if about different things. Ron was considering the sudden information, trying to order and digest them.  Hermione, instead, was uncertain if she was relieved for finally having told Ron everything or scared for his possible reaction.  In the end, her friend sighed deeply and sat on the bed next to her.

"It's a big mess, Herm."

She simply nodded at that statement.

"But somehow we should solve it. I think that the only thing we could do is talk to them," he suggested, smiling softly.

"When?"

"Tomorrow, first thing in the morning," he said. Hermione nodded softly, but she didn't seem really convinced.

Ron embraced her, gently. Hermione flinched, surprised, but suddenly relaxed while he caressed her hair slowly.

"Don't worry Herm. I'll be with you," he whispered and she hugged him back, feeling reassured by his presence.

They stayed so, for a long while, until she spoke again, her voice muffled against his neck.

"Ron."

"Yes?"

"Can I sleep here?"

"Sure."

They parted, but only slightly. Hermione raised her gaze, a little shy smile on her lips. Then, slowly, while he looked at her confused and surprised, she leaned against him, placing her lips on his, tentatively.  He blinked, feeling a surge of electricity travel through his body.

They parted again, and Hermione looked at him, fearing but needing a reaction. She didn't have to wait for long, because after a while he repeated her gesture, gently brushing her skin, unconsciously requesting for something more. That something more that Hermione gave him parting her lips slightly, allowing his tongue to enter her mouth, sweetly, adoringly.

They had been friends for a long time. What happened in those few moments was past that mild feeling. It was beyond reasoning and alliance. It was as finally crossing a falling bridge, reaching the point of no return.

Their kiss was the hole in a dam. It was nothing compared to the barrier it was damaging. A kiss was nothing against years of faithful friendship. But at the same time it was enough because it made the dam collapse all at once.

The spark that made the fire broke out.

"Ron."

"Yes?"

"Can I sleep with you?"

"Sure."