Part XXII

Part 22:   Don't Go Away

Cold and frosty morning there's not a lot to say
About the things caught in my mind
And as the day was dawning my plane flew away
With all the things caught in my mind

I don't wanna be there when you're ...
Coming down
I don't wanna be there when you hit the ground

So don't go away, say what you say
Say that you'll stay
Forever and a day ... In the time of my life
Cos I need more time, yes I need more time
just to make things right

"Don't Go Away", Oasis

To Draco, who had never been there before, the airport should have appeared as a kaleidoscope of people, sounds and movements, but at the moment, he wasn’t seeing his surrounding.  He was still thinking about leaving Harry, trapped in a sticky web of doubts.

So, completely oblivious of the world dancing around him, Draco sat still, waiting for his flight, his gaze lost into nothing and his mind playing a stupid silent minuet.

I'd like to stay and I'd better to go.

I love him and I leave him.

I want him to love me but when he loved me I hurt him.

He says he loves me but he hurt me, deeply.

I wonder what he wants and I don't even know what I want.

Draco had been asking himself the same question since a sleepy Harry had murmured three well-known words, three little damn words that had already decided their life once before, and now, were dangerously about to do it again.

What do I really want? Draco questioned himself again. Then, before he could even try to formulate a coherent answer, an aseptic voice cut through his messed up thoughts.

"Passengers of flight WX-038 to New York leaving at 12:45 are waited at gate 19 for the boarding."

Draco blinked, finally acquainting himself with the notions that: he was in an airport, he was clutching a single business class ticket to New York in his hand right hand, and the voice was calling his flight.

He hadn't washed away his doubts, yet, but, at that point, they didn't matter anymore. He was tired and angry. And it was time to go.

So, hastily, he buried his doubts at the bottom of confused his mind and got up, heading numbly towards gate 19.

As soon as Harry felt the solidity of the ground under his feet he began to run.

Frantically.

He ran as if his life depended on it.

And actually, in a certain way, it did depend on it.  On reaching Draco in time. On being able to tell him what he should have told him long time before.

Harry ran and every beat of his heart, every breath and every thought, was for Draco.

In a blind rush he got past the sliding doors of the international departures building, unknowingly assuming that the former Slytherin would have tried to put as much space as possible between himself and the source of his sufferance.