Part XIX

Part 19:   The Road You're On

Yes there are two paths you can go by
but in the long run
there's still time to change the road you're on

"Led Zeppelin", Stairway to Heaven

Draco lay lazily on the couch, reading a book and smoking a cigarette. For god knows which time, he was alone in the flat, alone with his thoughts, but he was trying to avoid them, just like had done since that night of reconciliation with Harry. Those moments shared with his love and his hate had made him feel warm and, in a certain way, complete. And those sensations were still there, enveloping him. But Draco knew that studying in next move while caught in those particular feelings could have a negative impact on his decision. And that was the reason why he spent his days in a sort of consciously induced daze, reading stubbornly, smiling detachedly at Harry while hiding his real feelings, sleeping most of the time and trying with all his might not to think about it, not to think at all.

And he was about to achieve his goal for that day too when the phone rang. Slightly annoyed, he let go the book and tiredly reached for the cordless lying near him on the couch.

"Hello?" For a while there was only silence. Then a feminine voice answered.

"Draco? Is that you?"

He recognized it immediately and, almost involuntarily, smirked.

"Miss Granger. Good morning. What can I do for you?" Hermione didn't answer for a while, taken aback by the unexpected choice of words.

"Well, Draco. First of all you could drop this professional tone. It doesn't suit you..." she began sarcastically. Draco shook his head, lazily taking a drag of smoke.

"Improving in come backs, I see. Well then. How can I help you, Hermione?"

"Much better now. Is Harry there?" She asked cautiously.

"Mmm... No. Sorry."

Hermione seemed to consider the answer before speaking again.

"Well, I can talk freely then. Tell me... Do you think you two could be free Saturday evening?"

"This Saturday?"

"No, next week..."

Draco reflected for a while. "I think there won't be a problem. Why?" He asked.

"Erm... We'd like to have dinner with you..." the witch began, her tone suddenly unsure.

"We?" Draco questioned ironically suspicious.

"Yeah... We... I mean... Ron and I..." she began again before trailing off.

"Dinner with the Weasel. That's definitely a way to pass my evening," he stated sarcastically.

He listened to Hermione's embarrassed silence for a while. And finally he sighed.

"Come on. I'm kidding. I don't think we'll have problem to join you but what's the reason for this familiar meeting, if I may ask?" He asked amused.

"Oh God, Draco. You're unbearable you know?"

"No, I don't," he answered, faking innocence and Hermione sighed, defeated.