Part XX

Part 20:   Tonight, Tonight

time is never time at all
you can never ever leave
without leaving a piece of youth
and our lives are forever changed
we will never be the same
the more you change the less you feel
believe, believe in me, believe... believe
that life can change, that you're not stuck in vain
we're not the same, we're different tonight
tonight... tonight, so bright
tonight... tonight 

"Tonight, Tonight", Smashing Pumpkins

It was the last time that they would enter the flat together, but only Draco knew this.  He flinched as Harry turned on the lights.

"Anything wrong?" the Gryffindor asked with concern as he noticed the frown of his lover.

Draco shook his head slightly.

"No. It's nothing," he reassured, but Harry didn't believe him.

"You... you can tell me. If you want, I mean..." Harry tried, uncertain.

Draco smiled softly at Harry’s hesitation.  Since the day Harry had beaten his lover close to death, he had been afraid and concerned, double-guessing all of his actions.  This made Draco feel sad and compassionate.  However, blonde had no time to analyse Harry’s behaviour. There was time for nothing at that point.

Draco smiled bitterly.  "What do you want me to say Harry? That I hate you?"

Harry flinched and looked away.

Draco sighed.  "Harry... look at me," he said, and Harry raised his gaze, tentatively. "I don't hate you. I'm not angry with you for what happened. I don't blame you and I don't want you to drown in your guilt forever. It's useless, don't you think?"

The Gryffindor blinked as if he had just been slapped.

"Now come here. I want to have a good memory of this night," Draco said softly.

Harry did what he told him, without wondering, not even for a moment, what Draco really meant.

and you know you're never sure
but you're sure you could be right
if you held yourself up to the light
and the embers never fade in your city by the lake
the place where you were born
believe, believe in me, believe... believe
in the resolute urgency of now
and if you believe there's not a chance tonight
tonight... tonight, so bright
tonight... tonight

"Malfoy... What are you doing to me?"

Harry blinked, not knowing why those words had suddenly sprang to mind. He had just the time to frown when other words hit him.

"I don't... please don't... don't stop..."

Is it me? I don't remember saying something like that, he was thought when Draco, the real one, interrupted his reverie.

"What's wrong?"

"What's wrong Potter? Let yourself go," a voice said, and it was teasingly amused.

Draco saw Harry blink again and stare into nothing.  "Harry?" He called again, confused.

"What?" The Gryffindor asked, coming back to reality.