You complete me

Amna’s POV:

“Mama, may I ask you something?”, I asked, as I entered her room, and saw her sitting on her bed. She had her back against the head board, and she was reading a novel.

She looked up at me, and squinted through her reading glasses, “Kya hua?”

I walked upto her, and moved the comforter that was covering the other side of the bed.

“Woh actually, Fatima ki birthday party aa rahi hai, and we wanna surprise her, so all my friends are having a sleepover tomorrow, to decide everything, toh I was wondering if I could….”, I said, sitting next to her.

It hurt me so much lying to her, but I had met Shehry after 2 years. I wanted to spend time with him.

She closed her novel, and took off her reading glasses, and placed them carefully on the bedside.

“Who else is going to be there?”, she interrogated. Mama and Baba never trusted me after what had happened with Shehry. I wasn’t allowed to go anywhere without their permission, and neither was I allowed to stay out of house after 10.

“Just us girls..”, I replied quickly. “Except Fatima, ofcourse!”

“Hmm..”, she sighed, “tumhe toh pata hai nai, its not upto me. You have to ask your dad.”

“Mama, please baba ko convince kar dein..please?”, I begged, holding her hands.

“Amna, haath chodo…I’ll talk to him..”, she said, irritated.

My parents hadn’t spoken to me properly in the past 2 years, mainly for 2 reasons. One being the incident with Shehry, and the other being the fact that I had rejected the guy, that they had planned to get me married to, as soon as we got to Pakistan.

I know I’ve hurt you guys so much in the past, and I should not be doing this, but I’m sorry…

“Mama..”, I started, “You and baba haven’t forgiven me yet, have you?”, I asked, as I fumbled with the comforter that was now covering half my body, as I sat with my legs stretched out.

She looked at me, “Am-“, but then turned her eyes towards the door, as if looking at someone.

I turned around only to find my dad, who had just returned from work, walk in.

“What’s happening?”, he asked as he placed his bag on the table, and loosened his tie, looking at himself in the mirror.

My mom opened her mouth, to say something, but I interrupted, “Baba I want to ask you something.”

“Pucho..”, he said casually, as he went through the clothes in his closet, to pick out something to change into.

“Can I have a sleepover with my friends tomorrow?”, I blurted.

His hand stopped ruffling through the clothes. He turned around and looked at me.

“Sleepover?”, he raised his eyebrows.

“Jee.”, I nodded.

He moved hi gaze towards my mom, who was just sitting there, with her hands folded across her chest.

“Don’t ask me..it’s all upto you!”, she shrugged her shoulders. 

He shifted his eyes back to me, “Just one night?”

“Yeah..”, I nodded again, looking down this time.

He let out a deep sigh.

“Go..”, he replied, and then turned around back to picking out his clothes.