Chapter 2: Catching Up

*** Harley's POV ***

Volunteering for the animal rescue was something I wanted to do. Since that fateful day in my youth, I have made it a point to help animals in any way possible. At first it was dogwalking and sitting as a teen, then volunteering at a local shelter throughout college, and when I finally had the means, donating.

I suggested this rescue to my firm when they proposed making a sizeable donation to a charity. I had researched this place along with several other organizations and it was the most active with a prolific number of animals saved per year. I wanted to do more for them.

So I offered my time and was told that I could join one of the rescue caravans. I was pumped because it had been awhile since I had participated in anything like this. I couldn't have prepared for the surprise awaiting me, though.

The girl that I helped more than a decade ago stood before me as a grown woman. And she was even more beautiful than I remembered her. Those expressive eyes and her bow-shaped lips were seared in my memory. She sparked something in me back then with her genuineness. I wanted to know her and she kinda gave me the brush off. It was my first sting of rejection, and honestly the only time I could remember a girl rejecting me. It was more commonly the other way around.

She recognized me. I was sure of it, but she was oddly nervous. The bold girl who led a search for her beloved lost dog seemed to have vanished. I couldn't help but flirt with her, getting a rise out of her with each cheeky exchange. I also couldn't help what her blushing cheeks were doing to me. It was like I was transported back to that night, my fondness for her growing exponentially and fueling my desire to be alongside her.

I foolishly admitted it to her too, right before we snapped that photo. I didn't know what I was doing. It really just slipped out. I could feel her eyes on me. She was probably wondering if I was some creep who had stalked her all these years just to show up, happening to work for the company that donated thousands of dollars to the organization with which she volunteered. Trust me had I known she had stayed local, I would have looked her up sooner.

Hell, maybe I was a bit creepy. We were teenagers who briefly crossed paths, but I would be lying if I said that night didn't impact me. She probably would sooner forget it given the outcome, but I knew she at least recognized me. I'd start there.

The photo that Charlie took of us together was cute. I wanted to save it to my own account and wax poetic about destiny and second chances, but one - my social media account was mainly pictures of my dog and this would raise too many questions, and two - I might jinx the possibility of anything coming of this.

Wait...what? I shouldn't be thinking like that period. I was here as a volunteer. We had a job to accomplish. I hurriedly sent the photo to our PR manager and shoved my phone in my pocket. I couldn't get distracted and ruin either the PR opportunity or the ultimate goal of all this - the rescue efforts.

I shook Charlie's hand and he nodded at Charlotte and winked at me. "I've never seen that one anything but focused. It's good to see she can be rattled."

I glanced over to where Charlotte looked to be giving herself a pep talk. I didn't say anything, but I wondered what her behavior meant. Obviously we were both surprised but were her nerves giddiness like I felt or something more akin to dread?

I dragged my gaze back to Charlie who was studying me. He clapped me on my back. "Have a good time, Mr. VP."

"You too." I said distractedly.

I kept my eyes down but felt Charlotte tracking my movements as I came around the passenger side of the van. I climbed in. The empty van echoed every sound. I hoped that she couldn't hear how quickly my heart was beating. I tried to will it to slow down, taking a couple of deep breaths through my nose.