Chapter 20: What He Had Coming

*** Harley's POV ***

The fire at Uncle Doug's church was thankfully small and well-contained, but man did it burn for hours. I stood beside Uncle Doug as we watched the weird bluish flames. A firefighter came over with a police officer to speak with us eventually. They asked whether Uncle Doug stored any motor oils or other flammable liquids in that part of the church.

"Why would I? It's a place of worship, not a machine shop!" He exclaimed, exasperated by the line of questioning.

"Wait. Why are you asking that?" I questioned.

"We suspect an accelerant was used. Based on the length of burn and color of the flames, I would guess a motor oil of sorts." The firefighter said. "We can confirm once the fire is out."

My hands involuntarily curled into fists. "I think this was intentional, and I think it has to do with me."

Everyone looked at me, but it's my uncle's eyes I met first. "I have information on someone's involvement with a dog fighting ring. He has come after me in other ways. I'm so sorry, Uncle Doug."

"Nonsense, Harley. You didn't torch the place. This troubled individual did." Uncle Doug replied, squeezing my shoulder.

"You've filed police reports?" The officer asked.

"Yes, sir. He has threatened and acted against both me and my girlfriend, most recently trying to get my company tied up in his illicit activities. It's all on record." I answered, although I deeply regreted Charlotte not reporting the drugging.

"Harley, you should have talked to me. This is a lot to shoulder on your own." Uncle Doug responded sympathetically.

"Well, we don't have proof this is him so maybe it's just a coincidence." The officer suggested.

"He owns a mechanics shop." I indicated. "I know it's not proof, but my Uncle has been here for 20 years and never had a problem before."

"Given where and how the fire burned, it wasn't intended to spread. It's almost like it was just for show." The firefighter observed.

Then it hit me and my knees nearly buckled. "Or as a distraction. Charlotte! I gotta go!"

"Harley?" Uncle Doug questioned.

"We have been staying holed up together since we filed the report. This was supposed to be over tomorrow and we wanted to make sure he didn't escalate in case he found out. We found out earlier that he may know. I left her with friends, but..." I trailed off as I read her message.

Charlotte: Dani and Morris just left. I hope you have your key because I locked up.

That was just ten minutes ago. I pushed the send button to call her. Her phone sent me to voicemail immediately. She wouldn't turn her phone off.

Uncle Doug must have seen the color in my face drain. He looked to the officer. "Can you send a car with him under the circumstances?"

"Sure thing." The officer responded. I'm already on the move.

I wasn't prepared for what awaited me when I pulled in. Disarray. An evident struggle. Blood. I lurched forward, not caring what impending doom awaited me if I found her safe. "CHARLOTTE!"

Instead I found Murray. He didn't lift his head or wag his tail. But I saw that he was still breathing. He'd need to wait. Mr. Bonanza was out of his cage, flying around aimlessly. I was surprised he hadn't flown out the ajar door. I tried to coax him down while still searching the house. "CHARLOTTE!"