Chapter 10: Just Dogs

*** Charlotte's POV ***

I was happy that Harley and I cleared the air. I tried not to dwell on our missed opportunity. The conversation between us carried on freely through the night and again on the way back the next day.

I was happy for the distraction. This batch of animals was on the rough side. I was worried a couple wouldn't make it to intake. A horrible reminder of how cruel and inept some people were to care for animals.

I think Harley sensed my stress about the situation. He kept glancing at me and would launch into another story. I would grow quiet and stare out at the scenery, and he would start again.

"Where's your car?"

"Huh?"

"When I arrived, your car wasn't there."  He clarified.

"Oh, Jamie has it. He's doing some work on it. Told me it would help him feel closer to me while I was gone." I responded. I could almost feel the tension radiating from Harley. I dropped my voice like I was telling him a secret. "Don't worry, I rolled my eyes hard at him."

Harley laughed heartily. Then it happened. I heard wheezing and my heart clenched. "Harley, pull over!"

By the time I reached the cage, the little guy was gone, laying on his side with his tongue lulling out. Just like when it happens in the office, I felt the familiar sting of tears in my eyes and my throat tightened. I double checked for vitals, but it was fruitless. I wrapped him in a towel and took a step back, tilting my head back and willing the tears to not fall.

After a moment, I took a deep breath and double checked my other delicate case. "Don't go getting any ideas." I whispered.

When I jumped down from the van, Harley was right there. One look at his solemn face and the tears flooded back into my eyes. He reached for me as I reached for him and he held me like I was his on the side of the road.

"You have a beautiful heart, Charlotte. You have since I met you." He spoke into my hair.

"Sometimes I feel too tender-hearted for this work." I admitted.

He pulled back and brushed the tears from my face with his thumbs. "The world needs more people with that type of strength."

I felt warm under his gaze despite the fact that we could see our breath. He walked me to the passenger side of the van and held the door open for me, waiting to shut it until I was in. I watched him walk around the front of the van. He got in and turned the heat up, then placed his warm hand on my knee. It was a comforting gesture and we stayed like that for the next hour.

When we stopped for gas, I nervously checked the rest of the animals. "Can you take these two to do their business?"

Always agreeable, Harley secured the two leads and walked the dogs along the treeline so they could stretch and relieve themselves. The bigger dogs got that luxury.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. "Hello?"

"Hey gorgeous! Did you dream about me last night?" Jamie inquired, sounding quite sure of himself.

"Nah. It would have been weird with another person right next to me. Didn't want to risk moaning in my sleep." I quipped.

"You're going to have to explain these sleeping arrangements to me later. I'm not sure I like the idea of my girlfriend sharing a bed with anyone but me." He said, the humor having left his tone.