Chapter 12: Mixed Signals

*** Charlotte's POV ***

"I'm really sorry that I can't check in on Murray and the crew this weekend." Dani apologized for the third time. It was lunchtime and she was leaving early to have a long weekend with Morris. She was sure he was going to propose.

"It's fine. Jamie is going to handle it." I assured her.

"How's that going? Have you two..." She made some crude gestures and I just stared at her. "What?"

"You're funny." I responded.

She gave me a look. "Haven't you been with him for like two months now?"

"We're taking things slow." I protested.

"No, it's something else. Are you not attracted to him?" She pressed.

"I am." I said defensively, but the unspoken part behind it was that I wasn't as attracted to Jamie as I was to Harley. Jamie was nice, and while initially he gave me butterflies when he would kiss or touch me, it's like the appeal wore off fast. Every time things started to escalate towards sex, I found an excuse. I didn't know what the hell was going on, but it seemed to get worse two weeks ago when I returned from a rescue with Harley.

I was confused. I didn't want to hurt Jamie. He was doing everything right and then some. He was attentive. He didn't push, although I could tell he was getting a bit bored maybe. One of his most appealing qualities was that he was telling all of his buddies about the rescue and they all wanted to adopt. It warmed my heart truly.

But at the end of the night, after I would stall and disappoint Jamie yet again, I didn't dwell on how it made him feel. I thought about Harley. He had kept his promise and we talked more over text. I knew he was disappointed that Jamie and I were still together.

And for some reason, I felt guilty over his disappointment, but not Jamie's. I didn't talk to Dani about it because I didn't want her telling Morris and it getting back to Jamie. I needed to make a choice, even though I thought I already had.

"But you're more attracted to Harley, aren't you?" Dani read me like I knew she would. I looked at her and gave a small nod. "Then why are you with Jamie?"

"I don't want to hurt him. He's been really sweet." I said.

"Gosh, you are out of practice. No offense, but he'll get over you. You deserve to be with the guy you've been pining for since high school if that's what you want." She coached me.

"You're not mad?" I checked.

She laughed. "I was just trying to get you into the game again. I could honestly care less if Morris's boss is in a happy relationship. Although, Morris did say that he's been more chipper and lenient in the shop lately."

"Don't tell me that!" I cried out. We both laughed.

Dani put her arm around me. "Here's the plan. Maybe give Harley some not so subtle clues this weekend that you're going to be available soon. And then break up with Jamie when you get back."

"I don't think I'll be comfortable flirting with Harley while I'm still with Jamie. Maybe I should break up with Jamie before I leave." I said thoughtfully.

"Don't do that. He's your dog-sitter!" Dani reminded me. "Plus, don't tell me that you haven't flirted with Harley this entire time you've been with Jamie!"

"Oh right." Her words made me feel more guilty.

"Stop fretting, Charlotte. You're making a choice based on what's best for you. There's no harm in that. And at least you figured it out before you went and slept with Jamie." Dani reasoned out.