Epilogue: Adding to the Litter

*** Charlotte's POV ***

One year later...

I rolled over and was instantly greeted with a cold nose in my face. I chuckled. "Good morning, Murray." His tail wagged heartily and his tongue shot out to steal a kiss. "Oof, morning breath!"

I felt something on the other side of me and looked over my shoulder. Nestor had just placed a toy on the side of the bed. I smiled thinking about how far he had come.

He had been one of the dogs that escaped Jamie's that night. Charlie managed to recover most of them, 28 in total. Not all were able to be rehabilitated. Some were put down due to injury. Others were simply too vicious to be rehomed. Others went to become farm dogs. But twelve, including Nestor, were able to be placed up for adoption with very clear statements about their pasts.

Harley and I requested that Nestor not be put up on the website. We wanted to adopt him. After the ordeal with Jamie, I stayed with Harley. It was only meant to be temporary while my place underwent clean-up and repairs. But when renovations were done, I tried to return. It just didn't feel like home anymore. So me and my menagerie of pets permanently moved in with Harley.

My parents were delighted as they trusted and loved Harley for what he did for me both in the past and at present. We were concerned that Uncle Doug might be a little more judgemental, but he too seemed to understand our arrangement.

I was a little traumatized by the whole thing with Jamie so even though Harley and I lived together and were in love, we let our relationship build steadily over the past year. He was marvelous in that he didn't pressure me one bit. He was there, constant and kind, and it made me love him even more.

Recently, I had greenlit our physical relationship again and I was a bit ashamed to admit that I couldn't get enough. Hence, why I was awaking late in the morning on a weekend. He's wearing me out and I love it!

I could smell food being cooked as I climbed out of bed. I tossed Nestor's toy down the hallway and he clattered after it. I heard the scurry of claws so one of the cats must have gotten spooked. Murray followed me into the bathroom, laying down on the bathmat as was our routine.

I put on my robe and sauntered down the hallway, which was lined with pics of us with the pets. It made me smile every morning and every night. Mr. Bonanza chirped a hello from his cage in the breakfast nook and I took in the sight of my bare-backed love cooking breakfast with his sleep pants hanging tantalizingly low on his hips.

He slipped a little something to Rays who was anticipating a hand-out. I called them out. "I saw that."

"Do you hear that, Rays? She's trying to ruin our traditions." Harley teased, glancing over his shoulder and giving me a quick kiss.

"I'll accept bribes for my silence." I informed him. He put the spatula down and turned to play with the ties on my robe.

"In the form of food or..." He gazed down at me with heat that pooled right into my panties.

"How about some fuel first and then we can negotiate other terms?" I offered.

"You drive a hard bargain." He chuckled, yanking me close and kissing me deeply. "Now go sit before I abandon your request for food."

"Fine." I grumped. He had already set the table, but I had to shift to accommodate a sleeping Minx on the one chair.

"Don't forget that we have that work picnic later today." Harley called from the kitchen.