Chapter 13: Don't Try to be a Hero

*** Harley's POV ***

I crashed the second I felt safe and settled in Charlotte's company. Before we left, I told Charlie and Liam about discovering the dog fighting. Charlie was beside himself. He said they'd have to start being more careful about adoptions. He then advised that I not tell Charlotte until we got back. He said she would be shook by the news. I agreed.

When I woke up halfway through our trip, she seemed off. Angry almost. So I started talking about the pets and before I knew it, we were right on track. She pulled into our destination. I reached over and put my hand over hers. She looked down at it. She spread her fingers just enough for mine to fit between.

"Charlotte, I really like spending time with you. I tried to uh...meet some other people, but no one compares to you." I said in a low, gravelly tone that I didn't even recognize.

She surprised me when she leaned over and wrapped her arm around my neck. We leaned our foreheads together. My heart was beating out of my chest being this close to her. Our breath synced. It was a moment of pure perfection.

"I feel the same way, Harley. I'm ending things with Jamie when I get home." She shared. "If you can wait a little longer. I don't want to want to be a cheater." She asked gently.

I leaned back slightly and stroked her face. "Of course."

She smiled at me and kissed my cheek. The rest of the night was an extended moment of zen. We didn't kiss because I wanted to respect her wishes but we didn't avoid incidental contact. When she settled her back against my chest on that air mattress, I couldn't help but to wrap my arm around her waist and draw her nearer. I wondered if she could feel my heart beating for her.

The next morning we woke and it was business time. This lot looked healthier than the last, but I worried when I realized over half were mid-size and larger dogs. Maya saw my frown and called me out. "Worried you've got a runner in the mix again?"

Charlotte laughed out loud at her joke. "There just might be one. This group is so lively and cute!"

"They'll go fast, for sure." Earl commented.

I felt my brow furrow deeper. Maya gave me another quizzical look, but I shook my head. We got the big dogs leashed and Earl, Charlotte, and I, each with two dogs headed for the patch of grass. I asked. "What's the usual application process for adoption?"

"It's like a one page form. We ask for references, but don't usually call. We make them prove they can have an animal where they live. We counsel if they have other animals in the house." Charlotte explained. "But if you know someone, I can waive the application."

I smile but keep quiet. All these dogs are pretty chill, seemingly happy to be out of the cages. Charlotte has one that is rolling around in the grass excitedly. She laughed. "Does that feel good, buddy?"

He pauses and then goes back to it. My heart squeezes imagining these dogs going from the hardship of being abandoned to being forced into combat with one another. I feel defeated, like we're just transporting them to slaughter. I got back to the van first, not wanting Charlotte to pick up on my dark thoughts.

"What's up with you?" Maya asked, coming out with a kitten tucked under her arm.

"Just finding it unbelievable how scummy the world can be sometimes." I muttered, getting the dogs back in their cages.

"Is this about her boyfriend?" Maya gestured with her chin toward Charlotte.

"Not for much longer." I hinted.