Chapter 6: The Tale of Two Tails

*** Charlotte's POV ***

"Lotte, huh? You're going to need to explain yourself." Dani gleefully pried, sipping on her cocktail. I was feeling baked from the day and insisted on sticking with water. Morris wrapped his arm casually around Dani's shoulders and zoned out like usual when we talked about things that didn't interest him.

I shrugged and instantly thought back to how many times I nervously shrugged when around Harley. I huffed and pushed my shoulders back. "We have history. It would make sense that we're comfortable together."

"Just how comfortable did you get?" Dani wiggled in her seat with a wicked grin. I scoffed and sipped my water slowly so I didn't have to answer. Dani's eyes bored into me. "Your silence leaves me to assume..."

She would only assume the worst. "Stop. We reconnected. We had a couple of moments, but we never really connected. Not like you're thinking."

"But he wants the whole experience." Morris chimed in.

"Quiet, you." I shush Morris with a glare.

"And he stirred something in you, yes? I can tell so don't lie." Dani pressed.

I blushed and looked away. "I guess."

"Good then don't be mad about what happens next." She stated cryptically.

"What happens next?" I questioned.

"Hey guys!" I looked up and saw an attractive man, tall, tan, and smiling a million dollar smile.

He set his hands on the edge of the table and I could instantly tell by the characteristic stains that mirrored Morris's that he was a mechanic. Dani wiggled in her seat and I had the thought that this wasn't an incidental run-in. This was planned.

Morris confirmed it. "I'm glad you could make it, Jamie. Uh, this is Charlotte."

The handsome man turned his pale blue eyes to me and grinned. "Charlotte, great to finally meet you. I'm Jamie. I work with Morris. I understand you had an eventful day."

I raised my eyebrows and blushed under his heated gaze. This was what Dani was talking about. This must be Morris's boss. "I was on a dog rescue."

"Tell me what that entails." He inquired.

I had to hand it to the guy. He was asking the right question to get me talking. I nodded my head and scooted over to let him sit next to me. I caught Dani pat Morris's arm excitedly and I couldn't help but to roll my eyes.

"I take it that you didn't know that I would be here, did you?" Jamie whispered.

"She mentioned something but..." I hesitated, not wanting to offend him.

"But you told her no thanks and she persisted anyway?" He hit the nail on the head.

I smiled tightly. He laughed and leaned in. "She really is a force, isn't she? I honestly am not looking for anything serious but she started prying one night when I met up with them. She thinks the world of you."

"Oh yeah? She told me that you were asking." I shared, wondering who was lying.

"Only after she started trying to set me up with random women at the bar that night." He responded with a chuckle. "I really only hoped to distract her, but I should have known better because here we are."