Chapter 18: My Turn Next

*** Harley's POV ***

I blew out a giant sigh of relief and slumped forward onto my desk. I had been a bundle of nerves since last night, watching the hours literally tick by as Charlotte's arrival drew later and later. My mind had been somersaulting through the possibilities of where she was and what had gone wrong.

But Charlie finally confirmed she was home. And safe. But now the question of what the hell happened took over. I just wanted to hear from her. I trusted that she wouldn't reconcile with that piece of scum, but I wondered if maybe she was having second thoughts about us for some reason.

These were the thoughts relentlessly holding me in my sleepless haze now at work. Joshua poked his head in and literally thought I had the flu or a really bad hangover.

"Go home." He advised. "Drink fluids."

The only thing I wanted to do was go to check in on Charlotte, but I didn't want to smother her. I did decide to text her again.

Harley: When you get a chance give me a call. I'm headed home. I hope you're okay.

But when I arrived home, Rays had alternate plans for me. He didn't greet me when I opened the door and when I found him he barely raised his head to look at me. He was like a limp rag.

"What's wrong, buddy?" Maybe I was paranoid but something seemed off. I scooped him up and headed to the vet. On the way, I called ahead and they directed me to another office because they couldn't accommodate.

Thankfully the new place was able to get us in. I was sitting in the wait room with Rays at my feet in a pathetic lump.

"Harley West?" A woman's voice called us. She took a double take at her chart and then looked at us again with her mouth gapped open. "It's you! Hi!"

I wrinkled my forehead. "Me?"

"You. Charlotte's friend. She was so happy to reconnect." The woman shared. She looked somewhat familiar.

I vaguely remembered that she worked with her best friend. I glanced at her finger because she was supposed to get engaged this weekend. She was sporting a sizeable ring. "Dani, right?"

"That's me!" She replied, batting her eyelashes.

"Of course. Congratulations, I see." I gestured to her hand.

She glanced at her hand and smiled at her ring. "Thank you. You are a good guy to remember me. So what brings you in today?"

"It's my dog Rays. Something is wrong. He's lethargic and unresponsive." I answered.

Dani frowned with genuine sympathy. "Poor pup. Let's get him checked out."

I carried him into the exam room, looking down the hall and in rooms we passed. Dani noticed and figured out what or more precisely whom I was searching for. "She's on her lunch break. She ran over to the shelter to meet Jamie."

I nodded as she started vitals on Rays. I couldn't help but ask. "So Charlotte said she was celebrating your engagement last night. You saw her?"

"Yep. She's going to be my maid of honor." She said with a smile.

"And she was okay?" I dug.

She was ready to say something when Rays started shaking. Instead she cried out. "He's having a seizure!"