Chapter 8: What more?

*** Charlotte's POV ***

Well today turned out okay so far. I finished intake and was positive that this round of animals would have minimal issues getting adopted. That wasn't always the case.

I kept myself busy until Jamie showed up. When he arrived, my stomach had butterflies. He must have sensed ny giddiness because he was extra flirty, leaning in to greet me with a kiss on the cheek and finding little moments to touch me throughout our little lunch outing.

He sat caddy corner to me at the hipster spot he had picked out. At one point he touched my knee and kept his hand there for awhile, warm and constant. We easily made small talk and by the end of lunch, I found myself kind of smitten with the handsome mechanic.

He followed me into the shelter. We stopped before entering the holding area. "So I have a dog in mind based on what you told me, but I want to see if I guessed it right."

"Oh you think you know my type already?" He chided playfully.

I nodded, biting my lip at his phrasing and finding myself hoping that I was his type. It was crazy what a little attention had done for my sex drive in the past 48 hours. His blue eyes dialated with arousal as he tracked the movement of my mouth.

"So tell me what I win if I match your choice." His voice was thick with innuendo as he leaned forward onto the doorjam, framing me in front of him.

"You get your snuggle buddy." I teased.

"Two for one deal?" He countered. I couldn't answer if I tried. His breath ghosted my face with his words and then his full lips landed on mine. He didn't ask, he just took and I gave in. I heard myself moan into the kiss and Jamie smirked and pulled back. "I'll take that as a definite maybe."

My mind was spinning as I pushed my back to open the door to holding. I walked ahead of him as he took time to read each dog's story. If he had a clear favorite, I couldn't tell. He neared the end where I had placed the dog that didn't like men. I put up an arm to prohibit him from continuing as Nestor, the dog, let out a low growl.

"The last one isn't for you. He needs to be with a woman." I shared.

"What's his story?" Jamie cocked his head curiously.

"Likely prior abuse at the hands of a man judging by the response." I quickly explained.

"Hmmm. And what do I do if I want two?" He pondered.

"Huh? Oh, you mean...wait what do you mean?" I asked in confusion. "Are you still joking about me?"

He laughs a rich and hearty laugh. "Just for the record, I'm not kidding about you. But I'm thinking of adopting two dogs now. I could use them at the shop to keep the property protected."

My stomach clenched a bit. First for the right reason as he claimed his sincerity about taking me home with him. But then for the wrong reasons. "Uh these rescues don't make good guard dogs. They need a lot of patience and nurturing."

"Oh, I can be nurturing, and I've been very patient." Jamie flirted in a low suggestive tone. I was transfixed by this man, my desire overwhelming my wits and every sense of defense I had available.

"Who...who were you thinking?" I stammered as my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest.

"Well, I want to give Nestor a trial run." He expressed. I took in a sharp breath about to argue but his fingers came up and covered my mouth. His gaze burned into mine. "I know how to handle dogs like him and you know he will have a hard time getting adopted if he's pegged as aggressive. Even if he's not with the ladies. Trust me."